755 replies to this topic

#751 brahman104

brahman104

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Terry!

I've just been reading your email about this and a few other bits and pieces too. Agreed, what little I've been able to find would suggest the same in regards to the dimensions, so as you said, I think the best way forward is to eyeball and go from there. 

Time to go and have a bit of a play around with the kit :)

Craig

#752 brahman104

brahman104

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

Just been playing around with some kit and aftermarket oxygen bottles.....

nVXnW7K.jpg?1

They come close to what I have seen in terms of length to fit between the 6 & 7 bulkheads, but I'm still not convinced about the diameter. To my eye, they still look a little on the thin side, and bearing in mind when I sand them down to make them smooth, they will be even thinner..... 

Going along with Terry's dimensions, 12 inches roughly equates to 9.3mm. If I were to sand down the above, they would end up closer to 7mm.

I also (for comparative purposes, posed some of my 3D printed specials from way back at the beginning of the build.....

9SSnaYQ.jpg?1

Yeah, not so much either.....

I then started thinking about modifying some existing model part, namely a bomb. After a bit of hunting around, ironically the 1/48 monogram B-17 bombs gave me the closest match at 9.8mm. I think we have a winner! I'll see how I go at making one, then hopefully I can cast as many as I need. 

Stay tuned!

Craig

• Anthony in NZ, harvey and Gazzas like this

#753 Finn

Finn

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Here is an O2 bottle for the ball turret that may give you an idea as to the size:

http://www.gstatic.c...db41aac7e_large

here is another one:

http://www.gstatic.c...e17b1cb15_large

Jari

Edited by Finn, 26 September 2017 - 05:35 AM.

• harvey likes this

#754 TKB

TKB

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

Craig,

I see what you mean.

The kit/aftermarket O2 bottle length looks good, but a tad thin. With the reinforcement straping removed, they would look undernourished.

Both the smooth and reinforced types originals definately have a "portly" look to them.

Think you're on the right track going with the bomb (and your famous calibrated eye!) approach.

Good ole Monogram to the rescue!

Terry

• harvey likes this

#755 AlexM

AlexM

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hey Craig, great progress! Maybe the oxygen bottles can be turned from a wooden stick of the desired diameter, with the surface details recreated by thin tape :hmmm:

Cheers

Alex

#756 patricksparks

patricksparks

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

Just been playing around with some kit and aftermarket oxygen bottles.....

nVXnW7K.jpg?1

They come close to what I have seen in terms of length to fit between the 6 & 7 bulkheads, but I'm still not convinced about the diameter. To my eye, they still look a little on the thin side, and bearing in mind when I sand them down to make them smooth, they will be even thinner..... 

Going along with Terry's dimensions, 12 inches roughly equates to 9.3mm. If I were to sand down the above, they would end up closer to 7mm.

I also (for comparative purposes, posed some of my 3D printed specials from way back at the beginning of the build.....

9SSnaYQ.jpg?1

Yeah, not so much either.....

I then started thinking about modifying some existing model part, namely a bomb. After a bit of hunting around, ironically the 1/48 monogram B-17 bombs gave me the closest match at 9.8mm. I think we have a winner! I'll see how I go at making one, then hopefully I can cast as many as I need. 

Stay tuned!

Craig

I saw some original tanks for sale on ebay, they called out dimensions, two of them stated size as : 24" X 12", one was listed at 23" X 11", knowing U.S. manufacturing my guess would be 24" X 12" is more than likely the dims.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratchbuild, hk models, B-17, metal, rivets

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users