Whats the 411 on that B-17F gents?

Guest Smitty44

I like the idea of a darker shade of OD.  Just add a bit of black.  Or if it's green you want, how about a dark pullman green.  I think either one of those would work for a dark contrasting color.  Just make sure that your base color is a wee bit on the light side.

Best regards

Patrick

Hi Tom

I'm interested in where you obtained this information about use of RAF Green in place of Med. Green 42. New documentation is always appreciated. :)

Cheers,

D.B.

I'm not certain is was necessarily RAF Dark Green that was used for the blotches (I think that was suggested in the post below mine) but I read somewhere that RAF paint stocks were often used when the blotches were applied in the field upon arrival in the UK. Now where I read it can't recall - it may have been in one of the Roger Freeman 8th AF books - I've got literally hundreds of publications on the B-17 so will have to get searching.

I recall reading that when the order to apply the blotches came through, US supplies of paints were not readily available and hence it was a case of grab what you could - I imagine there was quite a variation in greens used until regular stocks were established.

I'll see if I can find the reference but am in the middle of packing my books up as am about to move house so it may be a while!

A USN vet I talked to said the "medium blue" used on aircraft was mixed using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right) and there was often a lot of variety in the hues as a result.  Add weathering, sun, etc. and things are not as monochromatic as we'd like to think.

Cheers,

Tim W.

I'm not certain is was necessarily RAF Dark Green that was used for the blotches (I think that was suggested in the post below mine) but I read somewhere that RAF paint stocks were often used when the blotches were applied in the field upon arrival in the UK. Now where I read it can't recall - it may have been in one of the Roger Freeman 8th AF books - I've got literally hundreds of publications on the B-17 so will have to get searching.

I recall reading that when the order to apply the blotches came through, US supplies of paints were not readily available and hence it was a case of grab what you could - I imagine there was quite a variation in greens used until regular stocks were established.

I'll see if I can find the reference but am in the middle of packing my books up as am about to move house so it may be a while!

In some cases they used the RAF dark green to paint entire aircraft--like the P-51s of the 354th Fighter Group right before D-Day so it's possible.

Many thanks for the reply, Tom. Whenever convenient, I look forward to what you find.

Cheers,

D.B.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

So, last time I spoke with the folks at Free Time Hobbies (placed a pre-order through them a while back), I was told that the kit was expected to ship at the end of August.  Well, needless to say, August has come and gone.  

Has anyone heard anything further about an updated ETA?  Trying my best to be patient but really looking forward on getting my hands on this one!

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

There are many reference books on the B-17 but not one (or even two) definitive works on it.  What I've found best is to use the tech manuals and contemporary photographs for details  and use published references for markings, history, (and corroboration of detail), etc.  Even then you'll need an abundance of material to get all the information you're looking for. 

I had thought about getting one as I really like the "F" with the "G" type cheek guns on the nose but, going by photos, I don't think that option is provided. Hopefully I'm wrong. However (and this is a BIG however) I see where the price is in the very high 200 to low 300 range which is a heck of a lot. I'd need to really augment my PayPal account!!

I had thought about getting one as I really like the "F" with the "G" type cheek guns on the nose but, going by photos, I don't think that option is provided. Hopefully I'm wrong. However (and this is a BIG however) I see where the price is in the very high 200 to low 300 range which is a heck of a lot. I'd need to really augment my PayPal account!!

What you are referring to is an early production G. That version is supposed to be released sometime in the future. From what I gathered they were hoping to put it in this go around but all of the extra E/F parts prohibit it. If you are willing to wait which I hope isn't too long you should have what you want. In the meantime you can get the E/F and make a rather nice plane.

What you are referring to is an early production G. That version is supposed to be released sometime in the future. From what I gathered they were hoping to put it in this go around but all of the extra E/F parts prohibit it. If you are willing to wait which I hope isn't too long you should have what you want. In the meantime you can get the E/F and make a rather nice plane.

Interesting. Thanks.