Prepping figures

JRutman

There are a lot more tricks to figures than making sure the seams and rivets look good and the ailerons and rudder are straight. Thanks for illustrating them. The pictures make it so much more likely to stick into our brains.

Tnarg

Hey thanks a bunch guys for the words of encouragement here. I will crack on then.

Did more undercutting on top and got working on the bottom of "Mutti". After checking my stock of Hornet heads I couldn't find a female one better than this so it will have to be tweeked and used. You may notice the coat has been opened up on the bottom and the shoes and socks defined much more.

IMG_1332_zpstyv3qiel.jpg

Did a lot of carving on her valise to get some folds going on and then added a belt closure using an old PE german officers' belt.

IMG_1333_zpst2jozhpc.jpg

I thinned out the collar more and also skinnied up her legs. Adding detail to older figures shoes is important. The main defect is usually the soles. They are usually just wedges. You need to cut the heel into the sole and in this case,scribe the seems into the shoes,etc.

IMG_1334_zpsmgyehfpw.jpg

You can see now how things have sharpened up a lot from head to toe. I did some surgery on her face and head wrap as well,deepening the eye sockets and the lids. Also smoothing out some molding defects and getting rid of the bags under her eyes. Mutti will not be too old.

IMG_1335_zpssnxof2wq.jpg

Still some minor tweeks I am thinking of trying to pull off but I think she is now way easier to paint than from the box as sharper lines take away a lot of painting guesswork.

IMG_1336_zpsi0am7uv0.jpg

I of course will fill in on the left side of her neck. This gap was caused by positioning her head to interact with the younger woman next to her. You can see the improved foot area better in this pic?

IMG_1337_zpsxpqgeael.jpg

I started the paint on one of the older guys in the truck. I think he still needs some more pinkish tones in his face . The rest of him is only blocked in with basic colors.

IMG_1338_zpsfgqpuzhu.jpg

And that brings todays' festivities to a close. Hope it's not too boring and slow. I am getting old as it were.

J

Edited by JRutman

Not boring, and NOT slow.................I mean how are we mere figgie painting mortals supposed to learn anything if it was faster!  :lol:       Please do crack on.................I think I speak for everyone posting in this thread (and probably a lot of others who aren't, and are just watching in awe) when I say we are learning a LOT already, and looking forward to more.................

Brian nailed it!

For the coat, when you opened it up did you thing it from the back or just open it up with an angled cut?

Would you be willing to do a step by step when you go to paint the next face?

Thanks for doing this Jerry!

Brian nailed it!

For the coat, when you opened it up did you thing it from the back or just open it up with an angled cut?

Would you be willing to do a step by step when you go to paint the next face?

Thanks for doing this Jerry!

Shawn for this coat I opened up the whole back with a dremel and thinned the edges pretty well. Then I cut through the opening in front.   Thanks guys,for all the wonderful words of encouragement. I will do my best,

J

Hey Jerry, before you carry on further I have to say that the sculptor completely botched her left arm. You try and hold a box with your arm and wrist in that position and you will see how awkward it is. You will want to hold the box lower with your arm and hand against it with your fingers underneath it.

Hey Jerry, before you carry on further I have to say that the sculptor completely botched her left arm. You try and hold a box with your arm and wrist in that position and you will see how awkward it is. You will want to hold the box lower with your arm and hand against it with your fingers underneath it.

You're right there, the left wrist area is the weakest part of the whole figure and definitely needs some Jerry-Magic on it. :)

Max

Looking good J.

Are you going to try and add cotton for her hair? I recall you did a lot of this on the Normandy dio.

I have to see how it shakes out but maybe so. Maybe so.  I think ladies usually put their hair up under scarves like this so that may hold me back.

J

You're right there, the left wrist area is the weakest part of the whole figure and definitely needs some Jerry-Magic on it. :)

Max

I tried the pose myself and one could make the case that she is in the middle of adjusting her grip on the load ?  In either case I will not be spending a lot of time on a position mod. for this one as it will be a relatively minor player in the scene. Sorry guys.

J

Great job on 'sharpening' the figure, Jerry. FYI 'mutti' is German for 'mommy/mum' 

Those Preiser figures while being crude in detail are generally very well-sculpted with excellent pose and anatomy.

Another easy improvement would be to scrape off the coat buttons and replace them with rounded bits of stretched sprue.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang