Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for that great information, Michael! Fantastic. I can at least now pick an aircraft that features the correct propellers. I'll still have to come up with some spinners somehow, though.

Kev

My pleasure! :)

Check your sprues, though. I don't know where I put my instructions, but upon inspection, there are four bullet-shaped pieces that look like spinners, right next to the undercarriage pieces. The sprue gates are almost bigger than the pieces themselves and look like quite some additional work. But I seem to remember that's the case with any part of that kit...

...nuffin wrong with the civil aircraft disease! ;)

Check your sprues, though. I don't know where I put my instructions, but upon inspection, there are four bullet-shaped pieces that look like spinners, right next to the undercarriage pieces.

You know what, I never even thought to look! I'll take a closer look when I get home from work and report back. Thanks for the heads-up, Michael!

Kev

Found em!

o2rPPO.jpg

They're tiny though, and won't be much fun to remove and clean up. Still, better than having to scratch-build them!

I've also started work on boxing in the main wheel bays:

O5oAS4.jpg

It looks a bit grungy at the moment, but the top section will be faired in with Milliput, and then some styrene strip added for some faux structural detail.

Back when there's more!

Kev

Very busy and tiring times for me at the moment, so not a lot of progress to report, unfortunately. Modelling at the Speed of Life, I call it. Here's what's happened since my last post, though. The main wheel bay bulkheads have been completed, though some small tidy-ups are still in order:

ss5ADN.jpg

rOqZIS.jpg

The structural detail is completely spurious, and just there to add interest. I also still have a bit of work to do on the seams around the nacelles:

VGFyTG.jpg

Damn those panel lines are ugly!

Anyway, that's it for the moment!

Kev

Looking forward to seeing your progress! Note the Y2K certification on my decals :) anyone remember the doomsday scenarios floating around back then? :)

I certainly do. A neighbor of mine went all doomsday, and stocked up on water, dried beans, etc. He still has the stuff in his basement, presumably waiting for the next disaster. Better safe than sorry though, I guess.

As to the model, Kev, I think it's quite admirable that you're getting as much done as you are. Heck, I'm more or less retired, and still haven't finished a model in the last two years, though I intend to resolve that very soon.

Thanks chaps. This is certainly nobody's great kit, and you can see how chunky and crude the mouldings are in my close-up photos. If I was really keen, I'd thin the rear edges of the wheel bay openings, as they're quite frankly ridiculous. At this stage, though, I just don't want to turn this one into that much work. I'll save all the AMS-wrangling for my Academy 1/72 kit.

Kev

Work continues at a snail's pace on this one. I've got both sets of nacelles joined to the wings now, and have squared off their fronts with a b@stard file:

uRmqCx.jpg

I've numbered the front of each nacelle and the rear of each engine, so that when I do the required remedial work to make them fit, I can match them up again. What remedial work? Well, the circular cowlings mate up OK, but not so much the intakes below them:

Ctxxjo.jpg

N9M2Io.jpg

Not only do the basic shapes not match, but the intake hangs a bit too low as well. I'll have to carve away some of the kit's plastic to match the resin contours, and then back-fill the resultant step with some Milliput. So much for a quick'n'easy build!

Kev

Apologies once again for the lack of progress on this one folks, but that's life at the moment I'm afraid. But here's a token nudge forward anyway, just to prove the project is still alive. I wasn't happy with the horribly misaligned trenches on the underside of the engine nacelles, so I disappeared them with a mix of CA and talc:

FDZDPD.jpg

There's still a faint trace of them here and there, but I can live with that. It certainly looks much better than before!

I also managed to reshape the intake section of each nacelle to more closely match that section on the resin cowlings:

6CRPn2.jpg

The final result will depend a great deal on the job I do when attaching the engine parts to their respective cowlings.

Here's a couple of photos of the finished bulkheads I added:

mmarHh.jpg

ZYRS4c.jpg

Still got a problematic seam, though:

7O2J8w.jpg

Once I've attached the resin cowlings, I'm in for several more rounds of filling and sanding!

Kev