IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hakan

Much appreciated. Still making some nice progress on the front office and hopefully by Saturday, my Eduard PE detail set should arrive so I can finish up that portion of the build.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Sunuhe

Much appreciative and the pressure sure is on. I just opened up the Aries wheel bays ... holy smoke .. talk about details. Just a shame it's on the bottom of the Sufa. Might just need to display the Sufa on a mirror or incorporate one in the vignette, so the bottom will be seen. Lots to think about and plenty of time to ponder as well

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 1/12/14: the WHEEL WELLS

While the Academy wheel bays are quite good, compared to the Aires offering, it's no contest. Aires are incredibly detailed and the main gear bay fits without a fuss. After a thorough washing to remove any remaining mold release, I painted the wheel wells with Tamiya white and when dry, followed up with a few smooth coats of Tamiya X-22 Clear Gloss. Once dry, it was time to start painting all the zillions of wires, cables, plumbing and parts, with a combination of Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo Model Colors. Sure looked easy when I first started but as hour after hour ticked by, it became a very long process. Painting is my favorite part of any build whether hand or air brush, so it was a lot of time, very well enjoyed.

Referring to the IsraDecals' IAF Sufa book , Aires did use some artistic license, which is perfectly fine with me and of course, I did the same with some of the colors.

IAF aircraft are very well maintained and very clean, so put away the washes, as they just don't belong. I did use a drop here and there to help some of the rivet lines pop but nothing in the way of replicating dirt or grime. While the wheel wells should be glossy, in scale it seems a bit too much and I'm leaning towards toning it back to a more overall semi gloss appearance.

Up next: the gear and still debating whether to buy the Wheelliant Sufa set – who am I kidding, need to place an order today.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_4527-2_zps5e99709a.jpg

PCW_4528-2_zps5455b680.jpg

PCW_4529-2_zps6eb46692.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mark

Still tossing around whether or not I'll use it. Right now, I'm leaning towards just detailing the front well and calling it a day. 

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Sinuhe

Absolutely true. Only problem is, in that 30 plus years, the old eyes sure ain't what they use to be, plus I shake a bit more these days as well.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Babs

Totally agreed and of course I missed the wire and pipes in the plastic pack. Will be adding them this week

Thanks for pointing it out

Peter