Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Hello gents,

The 2017 monster project is going out the planning phase and about to be started.

The idea is to reproduce something like that:

A6_AAR_A7_1.png

Trumpeter A-6A converted to KA-6D refuelling a trumpeter A-7E during Desert storm

I love the idea of matching up an early USNavy paint scheme of the KA-6D and the older TPS of the corsair in the same model.

The obvious downside will the the size of the display in 1/32. 

The Trumpeter A-7E:

A6A7_001_A7_presentation.png

- A-7E trumpeter

- Zactoman canopy and nose correction - I don't have the full intake trunk

- Eduard exterior PE

- Black Box A-7E cockpit

- I'll need a pilot, it will be either PJ or Master's haven't decided yet

- The decals will be either VA-46 clansmen or VA-72 from the Victory production sheet

- It will also be the first time I'll try the Mr paint acrylics rather than my beloved Gunze

The A-6A

A6A7_002_A6_presentation.png

- A-6A trumpeter

- KA-6D conversion from Steelbeach

- Seamless Intakes from Rhino models

- AOA stencils decals

- SAC buddy refuelling pod

- 2 pilots, either PJ or Master's

I'll still need to sort a few issues with the A-6 such as the cockpit and more especially the seats. IW asn't able to find which seats are in the KA-6D. So i held off buying anything for the pit yet.

Decals will also be an issue as KA-6D decals aren't easy to find for that period. Basically i have two choices, the one from the picture above (VA-75) for which there is no decals available and therefore will imply custom decal artwork or the Va-35 black panther. Decals don't exist for the hi vis refueller, but I could use the AOA decals and convert them with rather ease...

But anyway, I'll start with the A-7 so I have plenty of time to decide which way to go with the KA-6D

It's going to be a slow build so bear with me and don't hesitate to post comments, i'll probably have many questions as I progress

On the way to some fun modelling...

Edited by red Dog

Ambitious project, look forward to seeing this. I had dreamed of something similar but from Vietnam period but doubt I'll ever get to it.

Yes the tankers had GRU-7 seats by that point in their life.

Like you mentioned, the AOA VA-35 Desert Storm sheet could be used/modified but not much would be able to be used for the tanker. As you probably know you'd need to add the red lightning bolt through the AA tail code, and you'd have to mask a white circle on the tail before putting down the large panther marking. Other than the crew helmet decals, pretty much everything else common on the sheet for VA-35 is grey so you'd be on your own for what needs to be black for the tanker (USS SARATOGA, NAVY, etc) plus you'd need obviously new BuNo, modex, wing markings, crew names.

Also, if you're looking for an even more low-viz A-7 option, AirDoc makes/made the non-CAG version from VA-72.

Thank you guys, monster project indeed.

I think I will plan it so it can be separated and have two in-flight rather than one huge display. Haven't decided yet about how the support stuff will look like. The corsair will probably be very low on its stand so I can avoid putting the intruder too high.

The good thing is that these two are rather close to each other when refuelling.

Yes the tankers had GRU-7 seats by that point in their life.

Thank you for confirming this, Ziggy

Like you mentioned, the AOA VA-35 Desert Storm sheet could be used/modified but not much would be able to be used for the tanker. As you probably know you'd need to add the red lightning bolt through the AA tail code, and you'd have to mask a white circle on the tail before putting down the large panther marking. Other than the crew helmet decals, pretty much everything else common on the sheet for VA-35 is grey so you'd be on your own for what needs to be black for the tanker (USS SARATOGA, NAVY, etc) plus you'd need obviously new BuNo, modex, wing markings, crew names.

Yep, Considering my abilities to do custom decals, I'm mostly worried with the black panther logo. The white circle and the red bolt would be easy enough to paint. The black stencils or marking is by far the easiest to print custom, so I'm not too worried with them.
But it's the reason why I haven't bought the sheet yet (I'd waste a lot of it). Although the crew helmet would probably be the deciding factor in buying the sheet  -  that's what I'll probably do in the end :)

Also, if you're looking for an even more low-viz A-7 option, AirDoc makes/made the non-CAG version from VA-72.

I have read that the hi vis CO  markings were applied on the return trip. But I have pictures of Hi Vis VA-72 modex 400 on the way to target. They don't have the red/white/blue band but they do have the colored tail
But to be honest, my preference goes to the clansmen sqn

Edited by red Dog