New AOA Decals - A-4E/F Skyhawks in Vietnam (Part 4)

ziggyfoos

Even though there are several other squadrons I planned (and wanted) to cover, this part 4 (32-014) release covering the Vietnam A-4 decal series will be the last one in 1/32.

32-014 will have 6 schemes:

VMA-211 Wake Island Avengers – two A-4E schemes covering 1968-69 from Chu Lai, one with and one without the hump.

VA-22 Fighting Redcocks – two A-4F schemes from the Bon Homme Richard 1970 cruise, one CAG scheme and one standard line scheme (the CAG coincidently is same cruise as the "BOBBIE" VA-94 scheme in previous sheet, this also covers all of BHR's A-4 squadrons between part 1, 2, and 4 decals with VA-94, -144, and now -22).

VA-55 Warhorses – two schemes, one A-4E from the USS Ranger 1965-66 cruise and one A-4F from the USS Hancock cruise.

Again, a copy of the stencil sheet (32-012) will also be included.

Price $22

Now in stock

www.AOAdecals.com

(Click image for larger view)

COVER-32014.jpg

32014a.jpg 32014b.jpg

32014-1.jpg 32014-2.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

• 1 month later...

Well they came in today from the printers but unfortunately they will be delayed.

Upon opening I immediately noticed an obvious error I had on the artwork file since I didn't send the right one for printing. I had two identical VMA-211 insignias on the printed sheet, while they should be different for each side and I even had it correct on the images of the sheet posted month ago but I screwed it up on the final sent file.... So it will have to have an insert/correction printed for the second VMA-211 insignia. Right now as-is they are identical, you can see in the jpg on my first post the correct way they should be, left and right should be facing different directions.

I've already sent the correction insert file to Cartograf so hopefully it will be a quick turnaround (and for my sake, not too costly mistake!)

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on the correction sheet and when it's going to be up for sale?

Chuck

I was told by cartograf they wouldn't be able to print before they closed for their August holiday break and said it would probably be end of the month to print. Edited by ziggyfoos

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is really strange. The Marines realize that maps don't flip mirror image style just because they are on the other side of the a/c, don't they? It is not like an animal or flag...islands don't really have a front or back. 

The mirrored wake islands is correct though (at least for these Vietnam schemes). The insignias were sprayed on, my guess is maybe the lion thing and the islands were on the same stencil together and they wanted it leaping forward so that meant the islands would be mirrored?

I think this is really strange. The Marines realize that maps don't flip mirror image style just because they are on the other side of the a/c, don't they? It is not like an animal or flag...islands don't really have a front or back. 

The US Marine Corps is not the only branch of service (domestic or foreign) to paint markings in such a manner on their equipment. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to how these markings are applied. It's fair to opine, however, that there could have been a method to madness with VMA-211. 

Masterguns

The mirrored wake islands is correct though (at least for these Vietnam schemes). The insignias were sprayed on, my guess is maybe the lion thing and the islands were on the same stencil together and they wanted it leaping forward so that meant the islands would be mirrored?

That is probably the reason, though you would have thought someone would have said something. I can understand the lion always leaping to the front, its just weird to flip the islands, too. Probably someone noticed, shrugged, and went on with their business. I am sure they were too busy with other things to worry about it. If I was their CO, though, it would have drove me nuts and I would have made them change it. :)