Kinetic P-47D Razorback

TimW

Yes, I know.  I have too many projects going.  A combination of work and life was making me feel burned out....The B-17 project is going to be huge and there are some space issues I need to organize before I can finish that and have room for it (I really don't want to hang it on the wall).

I also needed something different...something I haven't done before.  Why not a 1/24th P-47?  

So here we go.

The kit comes with two options--348th FG in the PTO and 405th FG in the ETO.   I tend to lean toward doing the Pacific, but in this case the ETO one has a much larger naked chick for nose art, so I'm leaning that way strictly for artistic purposes!   Seriously....!

Not a lot of AM decals for this one--there are several for the Bubbletop, but not for the Razorback.  There's one set of Montex Masks that include an air-sea rescue bird located in the UK and one from the 318th on Saipan.  Since I did my 1/32 Razorback as a PTO, this decision is sort of making itself.

OK, here's some shots of the cockpit so far.  The only AM is the Airscale Instrument panel and a RB seatbelt, which is still in the mail.

IMG_20170416_100039433_zpsfwx7k8wu.jpg

IMG_20170416_100036202_zpswtgzx76s.jpg

I did steal some leftover placard stencils from the Barracuda Cals F4U cockpit set--I figure who will be able to actually read what some of those say?  But I like how they look.  I also have the P-47 pilot's manual, which has some excellent detail shots of the cockpit and various control systems/subsystems.

s-l225_zpse6mikbun.jpg

I'm going as much for a look as total authenticity.

Cockpit has been painted with the Euro Dark Green that seems to be a close match for what they actually used, with some silver drybrushing etc.   Then a black wash and some Mig pigments to dirty things up a bit.

Did a bit of surgery on the oxygen hose so it looked more round and added the end bit with lead foil.

Still looking for a pilot.  May go with the 12th AF guy that's available.  Hey, sometimes it got warm in Normandy...

More to come.

Tim W.

Started on the engine over the weekend, but the front support ring doesn't seem to line up properly when I align it with the tab--it lines up with the cylinders, but is slightly asymmetrical.

Of course, that could be how they designed the a/c.... :frantic:

Pics of that soon too, of course.

Tim W.

Some new bits.   The engine.   I tend to dislike building radials because of all the wiring and stuff that kit manufacturers leave off--like ignition harnesses.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves and has just about ensured I'll continue to contribute to Eduard PE or buying appropriate gauge wire to the end of my days.

This isn't 100%, but I'm going for appearance as much as accuracy here.

IMG_20170419_203838443_zpsxpxrtjkw.jpg

And, finally, the cockpit comes together. 

IMG_20170419_203848409_zpsuemwabgs.jpg

Working on the RB Productions seat harness (arrived yesterday in the post).  It's a mini-project all by itself, so I'm going slowly to make sure I don't screw it up.

More to come.

Tim W.

I like the engine Tim and all you have done so far. I'm a big fan of 1/24.  I bought this kit a few weeks ago. Kind of an expensive way to get a 1/24 P&W R-2800 engine for another project, but I could not find one any other way.  After that "crime" I'd have this engineless P-47 kit. I  now have  some idea I'll perhaps (someday)  mod it to be an XP-47 which as you may know, had no visible engine. 

I like the engine Tim and all you have done so far. I'm a big fan of 1/24.  I bought this kit a few weeks ago. Kind of an expensive way to get a 1/24 P&W R-2800 engine for another project, but I could not find one any other way.  After that "crime" I'd have this engineless P-47 kit. I  now have  some idea I'll perhaps (someday)  mod it to be an XP-47 which as you may know, had no visible engine. 

An XP-47 would be interesting, to say the least.

Of course, now I'm curious.  Just what did you need an R-2800 for?   

Cheers,

Tim W.

Got the engine assembly together--here's a shot of it, before it went into the fuselage, much of it never to be seen again...but I'll know it's there!

IMG_20170421_204651371_zpskhsxjihy.jpg

The fit of some of the parts was questionable.  The instructions even more vague for some of the items, but I figured it out (more or less).

More to come as I get the fuselage together and the cowling on.  Then start on the wings.

Nice and neat Tim. You are on a roll.

My kit arrived in the mail today. I have never seen anything like this!  First you pull out this crazy fuselage with your eyes popping out of your head in awe. Then you pull sprue after sprue out the box for a very long time going "Wow" like some hippy.