1/72 Horizon Models Mercury Redstone

ericg

Here is my recently completed Mercury Redstone rocket by Australian company Horizon models, available here: http://www.horizon-models.com/

Built as per the kit instructions. I finished this model using Alclad gunmetal with drybrushed highlights for the Mercury capsule, Whit Mr Surfacer 1000 for the white paint and Hataka Acrylic red for the escape tower.

Highly recommended for a stress free and unique addition to the display cabinet.

2-X3.jpg

1-X3.jpg

4-X3.jpg

DSC07094-X3.jpg

5-X3.jpg

6-X3.jpg

With its sister ship, the Mercury Atlas from the same manufacturer.

7-X3.jpg

This company makes some well detailed models of the early space programs. They really beat out the injection molded competition, and you have made this very well. Beautiful work!

I am also hoping for some future programs from them, like that Gemini, since you can get a very interesting X-20 on Shapeways in frosted ultra detail, to put on top of the TItan, and have a nice rocket garden with the actual and the What IF? in 1/72.... think about that in 1/32....

Tnarg

Eric, these look terrific! Having seen a lot of these in person, yours look every bit like the real thing. If you ever get a chance, try to get to the Museum at Redstone Arsenal, AL. I think its even better than Cape Canaveral. 

I remember watching the space race when I was a kid. Very exciting for a young boy.

Excellent work Eric. The real rockets didn't look quite as nice on a 14" black and white set. Didn't get a color set until the moon landings.

Dan