Photo

Sometimes the Carpet Monster gives it back...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang JBB

Mustang JBB

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

I live in San Antonio, TX and keep and apartment in Midland, TX for work.  Over the holidays, I was working on my never ending self inflicted headache, aka Hasegawa Bf-109 F-2.  As I was getting the canopy pieces ready for paint and test fitting them to the fuselage, I notice that the trim wheels assembly was missing from the cockpit.  So the search began...  Swepted up the hobby room and cleaned off all of the work tables.  Checked the vacuum cleaner. Even went so far as to pull the P Trap under the kitchen sink.  Nope!  

So I went online to beg for spares from other modelers.  Nothing available.  Time to start scratch building.  Got the wheels made and set them aside.  Next time at the bench, one of the scratch wheels is missing.  Oh well, just build another.  Then I cracked the canopy. Time to walk away for a while...

I'm a little frustrated with plastic, so I am now back in Midland, TX at my hobby table at the apartment working on a Guillow's balsa Piper Cub.  I dropped a T-Pin onto the carpet.  Since I did not want the T-Pin lodged into my foot, or worse my wife's foot, down I go to hunt for it.  

Guess what the first thing I put my hands on is...  my missing trim wheel assembly!  Back in bidnass baby!!!  I had assumed that I had lost the part in San Antonio as I had not had the model in Midland for months.  Thank God I had not ground the parts to dust with my foot or chair.  So I put the part in a Zip-Loc bag and stuffed it deep into a pocket of my suit case.  Not losing that bad boy again.

So I said a little thank you to the carpet monster, and myself for being to lazy to vacuum under my hobby table.  Luckily a great guy sent me a spare canopy in exchange for some decals and I also found the missing T-Pin.  Now hopefully I can actually get through the rest of the model with out losing or breaking anything.  I would love to finish more than one model every two years. 

Happy modelling!

James B

• phasephantomphixer, Tony T, LSP_Kevin and 5 others like this

#2 phasephantomphixer

phasephantomphixer

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Geez, that was a stressful read - glad it finally came around for you.

Yes, commit those parts and let the kit smile down on the room from the shelf!

• harvey, BiggTim and Bravo52 like this

#3 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Had moments like that!  I recall one specifically with my B-25 srafer. IIRC the end result was me smashing the canopy to bits under my foot REPEATEDLY. It was humorously flat after that. 

Sometimes you do get lucky, and sometimes, it really does require walking away for a bit. 

#4 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I cant help but laugh at these stories. I have lost parts that are ridiculously large, to this day I still have not found the canopy to my P-40B, the instrument cover for my Ki-84, and the landing gear door for my FW-190. But just this week, the carpet monster graciously returned the fuel tank support for my BF-109, and I found the bottle of my black wash in one of my wife's slippers, I have no idea how it even got there.

#5 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Had moments like that!  I recall one specifically with my B-25 srafer. IIRC the end result was me smashing the canopy to bits under my foot REPEATEDLY. It was humorously flat after that...

I would, in all probability, have cried.

Tony
  • Out2gtcha likes this
Finally spraying again

#6 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

I would, in all probability, have cried.

Tony

I almost did............but then went through the other stages of grief all in about 20 seconds, ending in anger. Then after the Mitchell canopy was a pancake, I finally got to acceptance.    :lol: 

#7 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

me smashing the canopy to bits under my foot REPEATEDLY.

You need to stop doing jumping jacks at the bench Brian  :rolleyes:

I found the bottle of my black wash in one of my wife's slippers, I have no idea how it even got there.

You just need to wear your 'own' slippers dood   :whistle:

• Out2gtcha likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#8 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:54 AM

Shhhh....she doesn’t know about her underwear...
  • mmaben likes this

#9 Mustang JBB

Mustang JBB

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

And all of this is what I put down bamboo floor in my hobby room at home.  Anything that hits the floor can be swept up.  The carpet monster only lives now at my work apartment!

#10 Rick K

Rick K

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

usually my carpet monster yields part after I scratch build replacement.

• Out2gtcha likes this

#11 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

usually my carpet monster yields part after I scratch build replacement.

Ain't THAT the truth. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users