Revell F-15E built as a JASDF Aggressor

dmthamade

Long time since i've updated!! Have been doing a little here, a little there, today i was able to spend a good amount of time at the bench. Earlier i managed to finish sanding the upper fuselage and wing pieces, the join line needed a little work but ended up as an excellent seam. I did have to add some reinforcements to the joint underneath as there wasn't much in the way of contact.

IMG_5413_zpszlybhdl9.jpg

IMG_5416_zpshcwjmemk.jpg

The two fuselage side pieces were glued in next, the fit here was great as well, after cleaning up joint points. These needed some reinforcements as well. I also sanded the lower parts to clean up the panel lines.

IMG_5415_zpslemtgzjy.jpg

Today i did work on the intakes. The two part tubes are typical, after cleaning up the joint surfaces, they joined up OK. I did have to use a bit of filler, Mr. Dissolved Putty did a great job here. The fit of these tubes to the intake parts is less than good, the main gear wells interfered with them fitting square to the intake fronts. I had to carve away the top of the wells, which is OK as they are covered by the closed doors anyway. Thought the tubes themselves will be seamless, there may be a line where they join the intake front.

IMG_5414_zpsrhjeznoc.jpg

The external exhaust parts i'm using some Tamiya F-15 parts from a failed build, unfortunately i didn't save the tailpipes or flame holders. I do have some from the Academy F-16 that i will be using, may have to use pill bottles for those. Detail is much better on the Academy parts, pic below shows kit parts on top in light plastic and academy parts in dark grey plastic.

IMG_5417_zpswycpiald.jpg

Don

Haven't done a lot all week, then was able to spent most of yesterday and today on the build. I managed to get the intake tubes glued in after painting the face of the engine silver and the first bit of the intake light ghost Grey. To make sure the alignment was good at the front, i had to separate the engine faces to position the tubes, then glued these to a new bulkhead mounted a bit rearward from where the engine face part would sit.

IMG_5418_zpsqfaicjsf.jpg

IMG_5421_zpstc0xqlmx.jpg

IMG_5420_zpsasrb0k0t.jpg

IMG_5419_zpsvzvatrwy.jpg

After this set, i assembled the top to bottom. Fit for the most part was good, will need work on sides where the horizontals are. I also assembled the horizontals and verticals, once again fit was good. These are all just dry fitted.

IMG_5422_zpscn3tonsz.jpg

IMG_5424_zps9au07tjh.jpg

IMG_5425_zpsjhsbjj4m.jpg

IMG_5426_zps1vetfkqh.jpg

Will have to get a small amount of fill out, but has so far have not needed any. The horizontals are a little loose on their stubs so a small shim was added to the bottoms of the stubs to tighten the fit.

IMG_5427_zpsdqi7wbi6.jpg

Next there will be no more delaying it, cockpit and nose assembly.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally able to get back to the kit, shingles really put a damper on building. Today i managed to finally glue the intakes up, and started looking at the pit. Don't think the instrument panels are what the DJ uses, and the kit seats look like they may be for a preproduction eagle. I have a pair of True Details seats, but after cutting off the plug, i find they are undersize in height and width. Find this is a common fault with aftermarket seats. I have to figure out what i'm going to do, either live with them or get another pair. No pics, hopefully will have something by Sunday night.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, long time since update. Did manage to complete the main parts of the build. No pics of the pit, tried to paint 3+ times, each time getting worse.  Did one last time and called it done. I'll have to look into the Eduard colored PE stuff for pits on future builds. Painted the build with a primer of Tamiya light grey spray primer, then Model Master light and dark ghost greys. I struggle with these two colors, would clog the tip of my airbrush. Finally found using Tamiya X-20A thinner on these paints made them work fine. Found myself going back and fourth on the separation line of the scheme, until i remembered most of it will be covered by the camo colors. Still looks splotchy, but will look ok weathered. I also masked and painted the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces to ensure colors were correct. I can see myself in for long paint/mask sessions in the future. I decided that i would paint camo colors then go back and do the grey areas under the stencils after. Going to be using a lot of tape.

IMG_5428_zpswuyjjioa.jpg

IMG_5429_zpsm1sfoc3e.jpg

IMG_5430_zps5hqwyn53.jpg

Don

Goodness..Looks very crisp!

The camo is solid demarcation lines, does make masking a little easier. Spent some time today doing some more camo, i think three more sessions should take care of the rest of the camo.

IMG_5431_zps3mwtoe3h.jpg

IMG_5432_zpsgzslmozl.jpg

I get the feeling i'll be sick of masking by the time i'm done.

Don

The camo has been a lot of work so far, did manage to complete the major work. Now i get to mask off and paint the grey that is under some stencils and panel lines. Might be there for a while....

IMG_5434_zpsemhfxq5u.jpg

IMG_5435_zpssddhmmuo.jpg

IMG_5436_zpsqh7oxjtc.jpg

I have to confess, i could find no clear pics of the underside so the lower camo is a little speculative. I'll find pics right after i put it in the display case.

Don