Tornado F3

ericg

I know nothing about Tornados but I'm really enjoying looking at your build!

me too :)

really like to see how new stuff gets developed and seeing a master at work doing it with Tim in the background creating the 3D parts is really a lesson in how it is only imagination that caps our hobby, not the release lists of the kitmakers...

love it (and I don't really do jets :)...)

Peter

WOW Tim that looks the dugs baws as conversions go :m0152: and you are doing a cracking job Eric, I built one from the earlier conversions available but Tims looks like a vast improvement on that. If I can get one out of that which looks like an F3 im sure this will be soooo much better but here's mine to hopefully spur you on a Fighting **** F3 43 Sqd around 1996. I used the walkways and code letters from the very old Revell F2/3 kit the low vis from a Revell Eurofighter and the rest were custom made.

tornado%20complete%203_zps4ekw8tm9.jpg

Graham

Hi Eric,

another build I am looking forward to. Unfortunately the conversion is too late for me. I have done most of the cutting on my F3 build. This is my second Tornado and I can maybe suggest that you put a steel or brass pin in the u/c legs or use AM metal ones when you get to the undercarriage. The Revell axle is a bit thin and the plastic too soft to support the weight of the model without bending.

IMG_1700_1.jpg

Happy modeling

Cheetah11

Thanks guys. Been busy getting the SBU-1 finished and have done some minor stuff to the F3. An update will be along in the next day or so.

If anyone has some good clear pics of the navigators cockpit I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Eric.

Hi Eric,

I do not have better pictures to post. Cockpit pictures of the F3 cockpit seems to be difficult to find on the net. There was an update on the F3 ,which I speak under correction , happened around 1996. One of the obvious chances was the layout of the rear cockpit, in particular the position of the screens. The Revell ECR boxing has IP's which are closer to the F3 but the rear cockpit screens are still different If you want to do a Gulf war version I believe this config of the rear cockpit you need to do. Sorry for the quality of the pic.

1_X290277.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. 

The conversion to F3 will also require a few mods to the rest of the cockpit. Here is the Aires pilots IP.

DSC06901-X3.jpg

I chiseled out the central round display and scratchbuilt the Electronic Heads Down Display in its place

DSC06934-X3.jpg

Some modifications have been done to the left side panel as per reference photos.

DSC06937-X3.jpg

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Hey Eric,

Did this build ever get finished? The big Tornado was looking great, but can't find any completed photos

Matt 

Hi Matt,

Not yet. I had just accepted a new job after my last post and put it away for a while and worked on some smaller projects. Gearing up to get back into it soon.

Cheers,

Eric.