Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gaz

The Big Cat sure has me fired up and of course, I have about two weeks to actually finish her!

Going to give it my best

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Roger

It's been a all out effort and I've been working on the Tomcat for a little over two weeks.

I just saw I left out the nose gear photo which I'll post in a little bit and this assembly took longer then any other part of the build to date.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciated Chris.

I'm hoping for a minor miracle in actually finishing for the Mosquitocon, which is the first of the two contests I want to try my hand at. It's tight and I've been spending way too much time at the bench but so far, I'm about even with the timing. I'm not sure how much extra detail paint work I'll have time for but it's an all out effort for sure

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Yikes

I just discovered I left out the nose gear photo - not that it's earth shattering but it does show the beautiful detail Tamiya molded into the kit.

kNpmuK.jpg

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Lots of differences between the two kits and what Tamiya didn't do, with the control surfaces, Hobby Boss did. But when it comes to fit and detail, my money is on Papa Tamiya.

Looking forward to your decision down the not to ditand road.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Yikes, another GOOF.

Steve (A-10 Loader) sent me a PM regarding the block number of Tamiya's kit and the block number of Miss Molly - and they aren't the same and what needs to be done to make the changes from one block to another. The goal for the build is to enter the Tomcat in both the Mosquitocon and Noreastscon Contests in the Box Stock category and even the simplest of changes, aren't allowed. I just assumed the decals were correct for the Tamiya kit and you know what happens when you assume something! I also should have read the decal instructions a lot more carefully. I located a set of Furball decals for the Tamiya's Tomcat, straight form the box and they are on their way. Steve did explain exactly the the block numbers I'm working with and while I'm not exactly there, I'm close enough;

"160379 is a Block 95 jet. This should be fine. The Tamiya kit is a Block 85 - Early 95 jet OOB so, the Block 85 jets would include BUNO's from 159588 - 159637 and the EARLY Block 95 jets would be BUNO's 160379 - 160414." Thanks Steve for all your help - greatly appreciated.

VF-41 Black Aces 160379, USS Nimitz 1976

B5WSeE.jpg

Good catch! This is exactly the type of detail that I never care about, but if you're putting in a contest I can see why it matters. This new scheme looks good - never seen those markings before