50/50 1:48 B-17

LSP_K2

Also, there were two packages of just gorgeous Karaya .50 cal. Browning MG's, eight giuns in total. I'll need more, as the -17G had at least 10 .50's, not counting the cheek guns.

BE%20B-17%20019_zpsrsbhv7ro.jpg

BE%20B-17%20020_zps4g75ycuc.jpg

Ok, that's officially the most intimidating collection of aftermarket I've ever seen. I'll be following this build. :popcorn:

Jim

Oh yes, the Big Ed set is crazy full of stuff. The combination of all that, plus the True Detail sets, and the additional stuff I'll eventually get, should lead to a very busy aircraft.

Incidentally, all of the Eduard instruction sheets are available as downloads from the Eduard site, and I routinely do this. It helps me to visualize what will be relevant, and what is not.

I learnt that trick to, I even used them to interpret WEM KGV AM, their instructions are pretty poor, but Eduards explained a lot........

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Wht a haul of AM sets - surely going to be an awesome build and I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

I learnt that trick to, I even used them to interpret WEM KGV AM, their instructions are pretty poor, but Eduards explained a lot........

I try to download anything that will assist me with my hobby interests, and having them available as pdf's is very handy indeed. In fact, I routinely scan the instructions for decal sheets, kits, any AM I have, etc., keeping them in one folder specific to the project.

Kev

Wht a haul of AM sets - surely going to be an awesome build and I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn:

Yep, I was stunned, to say the least, when I saw the contents of what Ray had sent me.

This is one ambitious project, but a cool idea, for sure! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you (no pun intended), but I can't wait to see it take shape.

John

I figured from the outset that this would be a lengthy project, John, and I'm in no major rush, so I'll play with it whenever the mood strikes. Just for giggles, I'll probably start scribing the horizontal stabs this week, and that should be a fairly straightforward process (I hope). A few rolls of Dymo tape will be ordered sometime this autumn/winter, just for this purpose. (I've also got a stalled car model project ('71 Plymouth GTX), that needs to have the hood joints scribed, so the Dymo will come in useful for that too.)

Incidentally, all of the Eduard instruction sheets are available as downloads from the Eduard site, and I routinely do this. It helps me to visualize what will be relevant, and what is not.

Great feature of the Eduard shop. I also enlarge them to make it much easier to see how things fit and where things go.  Color printing helps a ton.

I did a cutaway 1/48 B-17G for the 447th Museum in Dover, Delaware (They now fly C5's as a heavy lift squadron but i think the Spirit of the Blue Hen - Delaware state bird - is the only named C5 in the squadron).

My friend was the pilot of the Blue Hen Chick and I used the (now) rare Pro-Modeller kit.  In 1/48 scale I think I would recommend some sort of interior lighting unless you have very large cutouts.  Esp for the waist area and the radio room.  Just not a lot of light in there, IMHO!

Good luck and I think its brilliant to do a two-sided cutaway model.  Brilliant!

Edited by CANicoll

I did a cutaway 1/48 B-17G for the 447th Museum in Dover, Delaware (They now fly C5's as a heavy lift squadron but i think the Spirit of the Blue Hen - Delaware state bird - is the only named C5 in the squadron).

My friend was the pilot of the Blue Hen Chick and I used the (now) rare Pro-Modeller kit.  In 1/48 scale I think I would recommend some sort of interior lighting unless you have very large cutouts.  Esp for the waist area and the radio room.  Just not a lot of light in there, IMHO!

Good luck and I think its brilliant to do a two-sided cutaway model.  Brilliant!

Thanks a bunch. It certainly seems simpler than doing two complete kits. And I have already considered some LED and/or fiber optics for this beast.

Do you have any photos of yours?

• 5 months later...

Thanks a bunch. It certainly seems simpler than doing two complete kits. And I have already considered some LED and/or fiber optics for this beast.

Do you have any photos of yours?

Sorry for the LATE response!  I mean REALLY late.  I do somewhere.  I'm in Asia for a week but will look when I get back.

I have a bunch of books on B-17s as well that I can post to you, if you are in need.  LOTS of web pics too, but just in case I thought I'd offer.  I also have a TON of extra parts from all of my B-17 builds I would be happy to post to you.  Let me know.

BTW< how is this build going?