Eek! A better airbrush! What have I done??

Gazzas

I have that AB and love it!

Easy to use and clean.

Practice with water colors or just water even on carboard.

It will take some getting used to coming from the pistol grip style.

To add to this - I just got into airbrushing recently and I bought some cheap craft acrylics to practice and to see if the rumors were true that you could airbrush the stuff. At $.50 a bottle on sale, how can you pass it up? I learned how to mix paint properly using this stuff, made my own homebrew thinner, and I figured out the brush on some plastic card. Now mixing and spraying Tamiya is a dream because the pigments are so much better.

End result: Craft paints DO work, and they stick quite well to plastic. I wouldn't use them for a finish coat, but maybe interiors and weathering. Problem is, the bottles have very little shelf life, and you have to be into mixing your own colors. I was very successfully spraying $.50 craft paint with a 0.3 needle doing fine lines. I still have the plastic card and it won't come off with my fingernail.

Windshield washer fluid. It's cheap and it does the job with all the acrylics I use. When done painting, put a few drops in the cup and wipe most of the paint out with a paper towel. Now fill the cup about 1/2 way and use a throwaway paint brush to scrub. Dump it out. Wipe the cup. Repeat. Dump. Now fill the cup about 1/2 again and spray it through the brush. Take off the needle shroud and wipe off the tip. Done. Couple of drops of Badger needle oil in the cup and it's good to go next time. <5 minutes if you really take your time at it. Hasn't clogged up yet.

Thank you, I'll give that a go

I have a dual action brush that sprays fine, I just hesitate at spending so long cleaning the damn thing after a few moments painting

I'll raid the garage

Richard

• 2 weeks later...