Tamiya P-51D with custom stencils

Bravo52

I've had this kit for about a year.   I finally decided to build it and am glad I did.  This has to be the best model kit manufactured (aside from the 1/48 Trumpeter deHavilland Hornet ;) ) ever!  It just falls together...  The reason for the delay was that I wanted to build a specific aircraft but couldn't find the decals (deckels?) and was offered the opportunity to use some custom Stencil Pal stencils (thanks Randy a.k.a. Sluggo).  Building is about having fun and learning, so I started right away.  I figured I could get the cockpit done pretty quick while using the Barracuda decals...not so fast...it's taken me quite a bit to get to the point of closing the fuse...

The obligatory starting shot!

MustangStart_zps60a62888.jpg

Cockpit underway.  No real problems here other than getting the photo-etch harness to stay glued to the seat.

Cockpit1_zps5c9031f2.jpg

Edited by Bravo52

The decals from Barracuda for the cockpit are very good.  It takes a lot longer to apply them than one might think.  All you really need is a microscope and a lot of patience...

CockpitL_zpsa0838cf4.jpg

CockpitR_zps9ea1e4ed.jpg

You have to do some creative cutting on the decals to get them to lay down over the knobs and what not... Regardless the problem still exist and some of the decals will get a little "wonky" on the surface.  The good news that even in this scale, it's hard to tell the are not straight.  I think the decals were probably made for the resin set Roy puts out.  The Tamiya decal for the IP needs to be cut up to fit well also.  One or two of the instruments are a little off....

CockpitIP_zpsef4e0bc4.jpg

Just a brief update on the Mustang.  Seems the weekends are for other things rather than model building!  I was able to finish the gun sight and much like everything else in these Tamiya kits, it was a small model in itself.  I am doing a plane from the 334FS/4FG that had the later K14 gun sights.  In the kit, the sight consist of at least 6 parts (half clear) with photo-etch.  The decals are from both the kit and Roy S's cockpit set.

gunsite_zpsaf256d35.jpg

The other thing I decided to do was add an oil cap to the oil tank.  There doesn't appear to be one in the kit which seems kind of odd since this is such a complete model.  After scouring the net for pics, I found quite a few intricate and details examples so I decided to just  use my Waldron punch set and knock out a few disc that would be representative.  Probably not exactly right, but it fills the void and looks ok.  I looked through my spare photo-etch to find a cap but I think I'll just paint the top disc black.

oiltank_zpsfea28e73.jpg

More to come!

Andy, I'm doing Lt Dyer's "Lazy Daisy" from the 334 FS.

Edited by Bravo52