Craftworks A5M4, In Honor of Dave

mywifehatesmodels

I really like the way this is turning out John! Fantastic stuff.

Here's my progress for the day!

I made the rest of the lights by heating clear sprue and "smashing" it through a teardrop PE template. In this case, the 1/32 scribing template set by Alliance Model Works.

A5M4Claude054.jpg

Can you tell me where you found this template? With all the re-scribing work I do, I'm a bit of an avid collector of them, and I confess I've never seen this one before.

Kev

I really like the way this is turning out John! Fantastic stuff.

Can you tell me where found this template? With all the re-scribing work I do, I'm a bit of an avid collector of them, and I confess I've never seen this one before.

Kev

Kev, if you have any Eduards PE sets, look on the outside edge of the "sprue" There is usualy templets for just this..........Harv

Kev, if you have any Eduards PE sets, look on the outside edge of the "sprue" There is usualy templets for just this..........Harv

I don't have any of the recent Eduard sets unfortunately Harv; my most recent one probably goes back quite a few years (and I don't have that many anyway). I'm sure I could find a suitable teardrop shape on one of my other sets, but when it comes to scribing templates, you can't have too many!

Kev

Really liking it John! The color came out great, and the riveting does add a nice extra dimension. Because of your build, I'm probably going to get right to work on my Special Hobby Claude next week, thank you for inspiring me with this one. I don't know if I'll go as far as to rivet it, but I will try and make it look as nice as your build.

All of your filling and sanding came out invisible as well, great job!

Please, keep up the amazing work.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks a lot, guys.

Kev,

I got the templates directly from Alliance, here: http://www.am-works.com/store/aircraft-scribing-templates-c-3_16.html They also make a nice screw head set that I ordered, among a lot of other cool things that they stock. I only found them by chance.

Matt,

Go for it! This is one subject that we just don't see enough people building, in my opinion. The more, the merrier! My decision to rivet this one was pretty much a spur of the moment thing (was going to do a couple small panels and before I knew it....half a wing! :lol: ). I probably won't rivet the next Claude I build, either. It just depends on if I get a "wild hair".

Looking forward to seeing your build! :punk:

John

This morning, I did a little more work on the gun sight, as well as painting the yellow ID bands on the wing leading edges and the headrest (but forgot to get pics of those). I also shortened my spacer for the cowl/engine and it should be the proper length, now.

A5M4Claude065.jpg

I just realized that the crank handle may be in the wrong position for the cap in it's closed state. I'll have to look into that a little closer. Also, I decided to go with a flat cap, as I've never seen the conical style one on any other Claudes, apart from the Russian captured one pictured in the link provided by Doug, above. Again, another variation among many!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I made a lot more progress last night and this morning. I got the glass in the windscreen and everthing painted and installed. Main wheels painted and installed, tailwheel installed and decals on. I also did a light wash, just to get some of the rivets on the topside to show. For the windscreen, I did the best I could to get it to fit, but there's still a gap, especially on the right side. It got to the point that I was doing more harm than good by trying to fix it any further, so I stopped. The windscreen assembly is so fragile and I've come this far, so I didn't want to end up starting all over if I were to wreck it.

A5M4Claude066.jpg

A5M4Claude068.jpg

A5M4Claude067.jpg

A5M4Claude071.jpg

There's still quite a few small parts to add and a lot of touch-up work to do. The small stencil decals seemed to be no problem, but the hinomaru were problematic. Not as bad as the underside was, but they still cracked slightly when I applied a flat coat. The areas around the lights, which the wing decals go over, also chipped badly.

This model is HEAVY! I haven't weighed it, but I'm willing to bet it easily weighs as much as a complete1/48 Monogram B-17, due to the fact that it's almost entirely solid resin!

I'll post more pics when I get finished.

Thanks for following along,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

The Claude looks awesome John, I like the green scheme as most people pick the NM. Very nice work so far! I am currently working on the SH one too!

We could almost have our own group build if Matt's doing as well.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

I am officially done, now. I even went back and fixed the right side of the windscreen that had the big gap (I just need to step away from it for a bit and regain my senses). The windscreen, as a whole, will never be perfect. However, it's better than it was, better than what the kit provides on it's own and the process of building it was a positive learning experience.

I was hoping to get photos today (My P-36 is now done and awaiting the final photo shoot, as well), but it's bright outside and the wind is howling. Such is life on the wind-swept plains, in "Little House on the Prairie" country. :rolleyes: I'll get pics up as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again,

John

I was able to get some pics today. Unfortunately, the weather is still not cooperating, so I had to do it indoors. I'm not crazy about the lighting, but it's better than nothing. If I get a chance to shoot some outdoor pics, I will. Until then, here's a few and I'll post the rest in the RFI forum in a little bit.

Thanks!

John

A5M4Claude092.jpg

A5M4Claude099.jpg

A5M4Claude095.jpg

A5M4Claude103.jpg