F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Hey Brian. Quick question.  Do you mix the micro-balloons into the CA, then apply it to the fuselage? The one time I tried mixing the two together in a little ink cup, it went off almost instantly, and there was no time to apply it to the fuselage. Is there a secret way that I'm missing?

Love the work on the Tigercat. I know the HpH kits can be incredibly trying, but it's so rewarding when it all comes together

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks one and all for the encouraging comments!  I know I keep blathering on about them, but honestly they do help tremendously to keep me on track and motivated. 

Im a happy buddy at this point, feeling quite lucky to have skated off as light as I did, but honestly most of that issue was caused by me not paying attention to what I was doing, and getting ahead of myself in the removal of the glued resin parts.  The very nature of resin kits themselves, is paying close CLOSE attention to things like fitment, angles, and thinking ahead about 3 or 4 steps while you are working on the current one.

The only thing I am worried about now with the way this setup is currently is bumping or knocking the front gear around. Now that danger has lessened slightly, as the gear is now supported fully by being glued into the fuselage, but with the extra hardened steel rod hanging out quite a large distance outside of the fuse, Im still concerned I might bump or bash it.

Knowing that, Im doing a mid build bench cleanup, as Im working from home today with all the snow and ice we are currently getting, and after getting the bench clean again (in needs it!) I will break out the JH Models stand and probably rubber-band the fuselage to the stand so the nose gear clears. That way the chances of bashing it are lessened, with the exception of when I take it off the stand to sand smooth the bottom seam on the fuse.

Hey Brian. Quick question.  Do you mix the micro-balloons into the CA, then apply it to the fuselage? The one time I tried mixing the two together in a little ink cup, it went off almost instantly, and there was no time to apply it to the fuselage. Is there a secret way that I'm missing?

That is a bit curious Matt. Ive not had that happen before, but Im suspecting it might be the CA itself, I normally use Zap-a-Gap medium CA, and just pour/dribble it right in amongst a pile of the Micro-balloons, then use a trowel to mix it all up, and then apply it to the model.   It does dry quicker than normal but I still almost always get to use almost all of that small pile before it noticeably begins to set up.

However, I have also used thin CA for this as well, and really done the same thing, with approx the same amount of time to work the past, it is generally just a bit thinner mix as you would expect. 

Oh wow!  Not a good sign when people post photos of hard liquor on your build report!  So sorry to hear about the fuselage cracking Brian!  I was afraid of the last straw effect on this one but I guess when the going gets tough, Brian gets going.  Great fix and it looks like the build is back on track.

Brian, a lot  has been said already on the subject, and any additional comment on my side would be more or less a waste, since i feel you ARE my Tigercat-hero on this remarkable enterprise (no hugs pleeeeeze.... :whistle: :wicked:), but all your "adventures" with this project remind me to have a bottle of "un-cure" right next to the CA glue in case things go south...........

Your in-progress reports are great reading material, thank you very much

J.

Guest Peterpools

Brian

What a recovery and way to go! :thumbsup:. Amazing work. I can honestly say, I never would have had both your patience and incredible skill to get this far and work though so many problems and issues. Even working out how to close off the nose gear weight was ingenious.

My next two or three builds after the SBD are resin kits and have been taking a boat load of notes. I'll be testing medium Zap-a-Gap as compared to the Loctite I normally use and never have followed up using the two part epoxy with thin CCA... more testing for sure.

Just looking at the photographs, kudos on your progress - brilliant work

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Catching up on this Brian. Wow, what a journey so far. What a tremendous effort. I know you will get this one sorted. It looks like all Hph kits are made with such small tolerance that scale issues arise. Hence the need to alter/adjust parts that go on the inside of the fuselage. I experienced this too with Me410 build. But closing the fuselage for good is maybe the biggest hurdle you have overcome and with care and patience you will get it to the end!