HK B-17...C 11/2 progress resumes!

brahman104

Craig,

"Irish" Quincannon (Jon Ridgely) and "Tex" Rader (John Brown) ---- very good posterboys for the stereotypical  "All American Pilot."

Watching your development of figures is going to be as interesting as the Fort herself!

Just remember --- any standing figure; the .45 hip holster has to hang down low --- wild west cowboy style!

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Craig,

"Irish" Quincannon (Jon Ridgely) and "Tex" Rader (John Brown) ---- very good posterboys for the stereotypical  "All American Pilot."

Watching your development of figures is going to be as interesting as the Fort herself!

Just remember --- any standing figure; the .45 hip holster has to hang down low --- wild west cowboy style!

Terry

Indeed they were Terry, and naturally I've begun the challenge with possibly the hardest pose first :) I've also decided I should now refer to this one as "Irish."

A little update for those of you who may have been wondering where I've gone. I actually had most of a day to puddle around and get back into the fort.

Trying to get the armature to conform to the shape of a person seated in the cockpit was quite tricky, and I still may not be there yet, but after a while it was starting to look as though it was going somewhere.

fH9MYrU.jpg?1

QKUhvfR.jpg

4ojPejs.jpg

Then once I was reasonably happy with the rough pose, it was time to add some volume to the frame. Learning from youtube, the key to this stuff seems to be in adding a base layer first to stick to the armature, then add volume, then add detail. All a time consuming process but once you get into it, quite fun!

ZYz8uQe.jpg

3hyNF6K.jpg

VQIvfte.jpg

I'm now a the point where I need to start paying attention to adding detail layers such as the clothing. For added reference, I brought a few of the excellent Wings cockpit figures. They are absolutely exquisite and will make a great guide for things like where to add folds and creases in clothing etc. I won't be actually using them on this model however, as they tend to look a little large in relation to the fort.

xgPVQSZ.jpg

I think I'm kidding myself, but if I could get something even a quarter as good as this I'll be pretty happy!

I also made a resin cast of the 3D printed rudder. I put tape on one side of the master so I could remove it from the silicone. The main reason I'm doing this is in case I stuff it up, and I think the resin will be a lot nicer to work with than ABS.

7ifHuAt.jpg?1

I'm going to be covering this in a heat shrinking film, so I needed to rebuild the internal structure so it shows properly underneath, much like what Peter did for his spitfire.

All very time consuming, but it's been nice to get back to some model (not-remodelling) work ;)

Craig

Craig, been quietly following this thread for a while. I'm amazed at every turn. Now you're tackling scratch figures too? All I can say is, thanks for taking the time to document and share this journey of yours. It is hugely educational, inspiring, and entertaining to see. Keep up the wonderful work.

Craig,

I'll be putting my money on you having some "Michelangelo" lurking quietly within ---- and the cork has just popped on that bottle!

The only thing I would have doubts about you being able to do is an absolutely straight out of box build!

Terry

Just a bit more mid-week progress. Irish now has a head :) Struggling with the positioning of the arms, there is no way I am talented enough to sculpt a head, so this one came from one of the wings cockpit figures.

I spent a couple of hours playing and tweaking the positioning of the arms.... I'm still not sure I've got it right yet, but the pose is looking "B-17 like" so far, so now I'm starting to add some clothing details.

l1vSFPn.jpg

vf6qlz3.jpg

jGwVxsl.jpg

sUFooGL.jpg

DLlAUe0.jpg

iah4oJ2.jpg

6TzzhVJ.jpg

More soon hopefully!

Craig

Hey Mike,

I'm just using Magic Sculpt for now and learning slowly how to work with it. I've also just picked up some "green stuff" which is used heavily for wargaming miniatures so I might give that a try.....

Thank you all for your continued interest and encouragement as I bumble my way along :)

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until I get the fuselage together before I can completely finish this particular figure, as I have to remove his head every time to get him through the window! I'll do as much as I can now though, then look to do some more work down the rear fuselage.

Cheers,

Craig