Building the Horsa Glider

Bill Cross

The sad thing (to me) is that you guys are letting a theoretical reluctance limit you having the chance to explore an aircraft and its accessories that don't exist in "our" scale.

There are figures and vehicles that could fill a dozen of these models, while there are ZERO parachutists in 32-scale. Not to mention a handful (at best) of vehicles that could be put inside the aircraft or next to it.

But to each his own.... :innocent: :mental:

Not me, I don't mind if it is 1/32 or not, in all honesty it had to be 1/35th as to build it to its full potential it needs accessories that only will exist in that scale.... Well until someone brings out a 1/32 scale Halifax or Short Stirling tug that is. :)

Strange isn't it, the one firm that is reluctant to go down the 1/32 aircraft route is Airfix, the one firm that bucked the trend and brought out a range of 1/32 tanks etc, all be it a limited range.

Edited by TonyT

The sad thing (to me) is that you guys are letting a theoretical reluctance limit you having the chance to explore an aircraft and its accessories that don't exist in "our" scale

Well, in my own personal defense as well as being factual, 10% is not theoretical, its empirical.

And to me personally, (setting figures aside, as I really don't do enough of them for the "but humans come in all varying sizes" argument to be valid) that 10% IS the majority of the reason I wont touch the scale unless its a subject I am extremely passionate about. 

I cant ever believe anyone who is into aviation could look at two planes 10% apart in size and tell me the difference is not noticeable, or theoretical. 

For me personally, Its again its not just the 10% difference. Its the fact that 1/35th was thoroughly and wholly unnecessary in the first place. 

But to each his own.... :innocent: :mental:

That I can agree with.

Guest Clunkmeister

I say we split the difference and go to 1/33.5 scale.

I tried to love 1/35 armor, but I was out of luck. Just never got into it. Like Bill said, "to each their own".

Edited by Clunkmeister

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this behemoth would exist sui generis in most any diorama or set-up, right? In other words, it's not going to be next to other 32-scale planes, but likely have figures (99% of which are 1/35th scale) and vehicles (100% of which are 1/35th scale).

So where would the 10% show except in your heads? :innocent: :mental:

I'll shut up now because I suspect the Horsa fans are quietly ordering theirs now along with the Bronco Birt paras that would go with it. :whistle:

I'm planning a dio with a truck and some figures in both scales soon, so I will willingly eat my words if it looks like shite.

Edited by Bill Cross

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this behemoth would exist sui generis in most any diorama or set-up, right? In other words, it's not going to be next to other 32-scale planes, but likely have figures (99% of which are 1/35th scale) and vehicles (100% of which are 1/35th scale).

So where would the 10% show except in your heads? :innocent: :mental:

I'll shut up now because I suspect the Horsa fans are quietly ordering theirs now along with the Bronco Birt paras that would go with it. :whistle:

I'm planning a dio with a truck and some figures in both scales soon, so I will willingly eat my words if it looks like shite.

In all likelihood, it'll be in close proximity to 1/32 models.

I understand the aversion to the 1/35 scale. Imagine if Tamiya launched a 1/35 Hellcat or P-38, I'm pretty sure people would not buy it. It's just the wrong scale, however close.

Remember the fuss over Eduard's 1/48 109G-6? It was closer to 1/47 than 1/48, a difference of roughly 2%? They were roundly laughed at & the kit was on the avoid list as a result.

A 10% difference is a big deal.

I display all my planes together, so a difference of 10% from one to the next would send my ADD/OCD/AMS into a tailspin.  That is with the exception of my 1/24th Beaver, which I hung away from everything else downstairs.

With me its absolutely nothing personal with any guys who build 1/35th what-so-ever. Its just an aversion to the scale itself. 

I display all my planes together, so a difference of 10% from one to the next would send my ADD/OCD/AMS into a tailspin.  That is with the exception of my 1/24th Beaver, which I hung away from everything else downstairs.

With me its absolutely nothing personal with any guys who build 1/35th what-so-ever. Its just an aversion to the scale itself. 

I'm lucky, Brian. SWMBO won't let me display my models above ground, so they live in the basement. I don't pay attention to most of them after they're finished, so they all have learned to live together :) .

I'm lucky, Brian. SWMBO won't let me display my models above ground, so they live in the basement. I don't pay attention to most of them after they're finished, so they all have learned to live together :)

I know my aversion is silly, but I cant really even explain why it bothers me to display 1/35th along side 1/32nd, even as close as they are. Just like asymmetric weapons load-outs..........cant do it.