For my 109 addiction...Completed

Gazzas

Gary

Nice work on the 109 and from my end looks really good.

Especially for small decals, after the decal moves freely on the backing paper, I just slide it to the edge of the paper and lift it off with a good pair a decal tweezers. Then I just place the decal on the model where I have pre-coated the area with wet water and the the Micro System of Set and Sol.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for your kind words. I don't yet have a pair of decal tweezers. As easy as it is for me to open my wallet for a new kit, I'm a bit more miserly when it comes to tools. I must have about four pairs of tweezers I didn't like as soon as I tried them, one set that I ruined from overuse and poor attempts at straightening, and one set of very fine tipped tweezers that I forget about because they're stored in a plastic tube.

I never thought of making a solution with water and set and sol. I'll give that a go, too.

Gaz

Joel,

Thank you for your encouraging reply! I agree about the 'half magical'. It's been a long time since I watched Paul Budzik's decal video. I have to admit to forgetting a few things. Thank you for sharing your method with me. I've really been struggling with the long skinny decals most. Fortunately we have Dawn here.

Gaz

Gary,

Go watch Paul's video again, it's really one of his best, and his method works every time.   Believe me, no one screws up more then I do. just ask Pete.

Joel

Alrighty...the pastels are on and sealed with a coat of Future.

Only two photos, because the effects are quite subtle and aren't helped by my weak photography skills.

090623.jpg

I only used a few colors.  White, Gray, Yellow, Burnt Umber, and Raw Sienna.

090533.jpg

I'll give it a night for the Future to cure, then I can start abusing with oils tomorrow.

​Now I'll go watch a couple Paul Budzik videos....  Can't watch just one.

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Looking mighty good and the weather is how I like it.

What I meant before with placing decals is I normally use wet water (a drop or two of dishwasher soap in my soak water which helps break the surface tension and the water will lay down smooth. Then I go through the Micro process and normally.

Keep 'em comiong

Peter

Hi Joel,

Thanks for stopping by.  The effects are a little easier to see up-close-and-personal, but still subtle nevertheless.   Before I did it, I was afraid that it would be the other way and that I'd be risking the paint job trying to fix it.  But I'm definitely gonna make pastels a permanent part of my weathering activities.

Gaz

Hi Joel,

Thanks for stopping by.  The effects are a little easier to see up-close-and-personal, but still subtle nevertheless.   Before I did it, I was afraid that it would be the other way and that I'd be risking the paint job trying to fix it.  But I'm definitely gonna make pastels a permanent part of my weathering activities.

Gaz

Gary,

I've got a few Mig pastels, but to tell the truth I've never used them. I still remember from the old days of brushing them on, then off they came with the Dullcoat. 

Joel

Joel,

Airbrushing is the problem.   I tried it too.   Mine admittedly aren't professionally ground pigments.  Mine are pastel chalk ground in a mortar and pestle, dabbed on with a fluffy-ish paint brush.  Then I mist them with windex.  If the windex beads anywhere, I lightly apply the edge of a tissue.  The tissue wicks away the excess moisture.  Let it dry, and Bob's your uncle!

Finally finished!

I decided to include some black and white photos.  I kinda wish I had a few 1/48 airfield dio's to photograph planes in.  Anyway, here it is.

124711.jpg

124605.jpg

124802.jpg

124811.jpg

124834.jpg

124911.jpg

124723.jpg

And finally my growing family of 109s:  E4, Tamiya, Battle of Britain;  G6, Hasegawa, Sicily, Operation Husky;  G6, KA Models, Reich Defence;  G14 UM Models, Reich Defence:

125519.jpg

Edited by Gazzas

Gary,

Just a super job on completing that UM 109. And your growing collection is really growing. My only ever collection to date is Tamiya's 1/48 scale F4U-1 & -1A I built way back in my Aeroscale days. And they're both sechuded for replacement with Tamiya's 1/32 scale triplets when the -1D comes out.  Now that should be a fun year or so of building nothing but Corsairs.  :thumbsup:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Joel,

Thank you!  A large trio of Corsairs should really be something to look forward to.  I'll enjoy watching you build them.  There's been a few great examples of them this past week, already.

Gaz

Joel,

Thank you!  A large trio of Corsairs should really be something to look forward to.  I'll enjoy watching you build them.  There's been a few great examples of them this past week, already.

Gaz

Gary,

I'm kind of looking forward to it, and them I'm not. Not sure I have to ability to focus on them one right after another, but I know I've never been one for the assembly line type of builds. So I just might do them as every other build, which makes more sense to me. Of course, now I'll have to figure out what order to build them in.  :help: 

Joel