Italeri F-104J Starfighter in JASDF scheme. 203 Squadron

dmthamade

• 4 weeks later...

I've been pretty bad at updating, thanks for the positives, guys. I was waiting for some Eduard PE for the cockpit. Did some small stuff on the build, managed to paint and weather the exhaust stuff.

IMG_5550_zpskjqyxofw.jpg

IMG_5551_zps3thnxgao.jpg

These were painted with FS 34092 in the exhaust pipe then given a wash with Florys dark dirt. The flame holder was painted with Tamiya burnt iron, then highlighted with Tamiya makeup kit titanium. I do like the detail work in these parts, and they assemble with very little if any seam showing. The gun bay doors fit leaves a gap along the bottom and would also be sunken in, i used shims to adjust the fit.

IMG_5547_1_zpskaovxkxl.jpg

IMG_5549_1_zpsbaokte0x.jpg

Lot of sink marks to fill on the door, too. Redid the rivets on the tail, they were shallow too. Funny how the panel lines were good...

IMG_5558_zpsknte5tiw.jpg

I'm not very good a painting cockpits, on this build i decided to try the Eduard interior set. Little one dimensional, but far better than anything i could do, i'm good with how they turned out.

IMG_5557_zpsfzboxtdk.jpg

IMG_5556_zpsfvzrfr6y.jpg

IMG_5555_zpsijfbcdrx.jpg

They looked a little "off" out of the box, after a flat coat and applying Future to the gauges, they're good to go.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Don,

The exhaust areas and fan is really looking quite good. While using Eduard PE for the cockpit does have a somewhat unidimensional "feel" to it, I do like the overall finished look.  I also prefer to go that route whenever possible vs my struggling with a paint brush.

Joel

Don,

The exhaust areas and fan is really looking quite good. While using Eduard PE for the cockpit does have a somewhat unidimensional "feel" to it, I do like the overall finished look.  I also prefer to go that route whenever possible vs my struggling with a paint brush.

Joel

I can't do cockpits to save my life, they're the hardest part of my builds and the part that leaves me dissatisfied. The PE at least gives me a better looking 'pit that i'm happy with. Working with small details and a brush is harder now due to "floaters" in my eyes, especially the left. Normal day to day stuff is OK, fine detail work like 'pit painting is a no go now. Thanks for the positives, guys.

Don

I can't do cockpits to save my life, they're the hardest part of my builds and the part that leaves me dissatisfied. The PE at least gives me a better looking 'pit that i'm happy with. Working with small details and a brush is harder now due to "floaters" in my eyes, especially the left. Normal day to day stuff is OK, fine detail work like 'pit painting is a no go now. Thanks for the positives, guys.

Don

Don,

I'd take floaters any day of the week compared to the rotten break I got concerning my eyes. I've had cancer and a major heart attack and survived both. The last thing in the world I thought I'd have to fight was going blind, but it's my current fight for the last 10 years. I'm now legally blind in the left eye, and have Macular Degeneration (wet type) in both eyes that required monthly injections for the rest of my life or until I finally go blind in the right eye as well. The floaters are an indication of some issue with your retina and how the brain tries to  interpret those electrical signals, but I'm quite sure you know that already. So do whatever you have to do to save your eyesight, as there is no transplant option.

Joel

Don,

I'd take floaters any day of the week compared to the rotten break I got concerning my eyes. I've had cancer and a major heart attack and survived both. The last thing in the world I thought I'd have to fight was going blind, but it's my current fight for the last 10 years. I'm now legally blind in the left eye, and have Macular Degeneration (wet type) in both eyes that required monthly injections for the rest of my life or until I finally go blind in the right eye as well. The floaters are an indication of some issue with your retina and how the brain tries to  interpret those electrical signals, but I'm quite sure you know that already. So do whatever you have to do to save your eyesight, as there is no transplant option.

Joel

Very sorry to hear of your sight problems, terrible to lose any of the senses. Been to the docs, they tell me as you grow older, you will start to see the floaters more, age takes it toll and things wear out. Not a whole lot to do, i just have to look out for sudden changes. We'll just have to make the most of what we have, until it ends.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Long time since updating, haven't done much. Busy at work with tire changeover season, my hands hurt bad from work and arthritis. Did manage to assemble the fuselage, joints were aligned fine with no filler needed. I tried the Vallejo polyurethane primer on a few parts, allowed to dry, then sprayed a Vallejo metal paint on top. This dried for a week. Today I looked at the parts, and managed to scratch away the topcoat, easily. Other parts that were just primed scratched just as easily. Not too happy about the primer as I bought it so I could prime indoors. Prep and spray were as recommended, stuff just didn't work out for me. I stripped top coat with Castrol Superclean, paint disappeared in seconds. The primer required two-three tries but it went away, too. Will stay with the Tamiya primers, stuff just works..Will try to get back to the build, hands hurt really badly by the end of the day, though, too sore to build.

Don

Don,

I've tried over the years most of the more popular primers including Vallejo, Model Master Acrylic Primer, Italeri, & Life Color, all scratched and chipped off quite easily, so I also went back to Tamiya's Gray Primer. A few years ago I tried Mig Ammo's Gray and Black Acrylic primers, and was I surprised. Dries fast, and smooth as silk. Plus it's tough as nails. So now I use my Tamiya gray primer as a brushed on crack filler for the few times I actually go that route.

Joel

I'll have to look for the Mig Ammo primers. Pretty disappointed in the Vallejo stuff, was hoping I found a primer that I could spray indoors especially in winter. Couple not so local shops do carry Mig stuff, I'll have a look. Thanks for the info, Joel!!

Don