Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anthony,

Loving your build.   Do you have any other detailed reference photos of the avionics bay you're building?   I'd love to see the area out of shot to the right side of your photo as well as the interior side of the door/panel.   

Cheers,

Wayne 

Matt and Zac, appreciate you continued interest guys!  I have updated on my other post on the cockpit upgrade thread. 

Wayne, yes mate I do have lots of detailed photos of the avionics bays, sling me a PM with your email and I will get them to you

Cheers

Anthony

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Anthony. Just wanted to send you some words of encouragement. The work you have done on this project is just so incredibly good. I hope you can find the inspiration to forge ahead in spite of the frustrating setback. Your work on modifying the intakes and the riveted distressed skin alone is worth sticking with it (easy for me to say). I think the Kahu cockpit needs this airframe to be at home in!

Amazing work. I for one am heavily invested in seeing the finished result and there is a host of onlookers enjoying and getting inspired by this WIP. And of course, learning a lot too. 

Greg

NXr1I5y.jpg

Awww, thanks guys!

I am making good progress getting this cockpit upgrade ready for Roy.  I repaired the wheel well last night...I just had to, it was annoying me so much that I had busted it the other day.

Modelling progress has admittedly been painfully slow on this build.  Aside from the cockpit upgrade I am working on a 1/48 RNZAF Skyhawk commission build (that I dont normally do, but he's a lovely guy and got me a HpH Cat for doing it), plus I am rebuilding my own aircraft Auster T.7 WE552  https://www.facebook.com/Austerwe552/  to factory original military spec and am under pressure with my engineers in a few areas to get stuff sorted, plus work, family etc..... I need to somehow make another me.  My parents are past having anymore children, so I guess I am on my own LOL

Thanks for your encouragement guys, I REALLY appreciate it!!!

Cheers

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

Well now I have the masters for the cockpit panel and HUD all boxed and ready to go to Roy, I have a clean conscience that I can get to work on this again for myself!

Although it has been a struggle not to go back to my 32nd or 24th Mosquito models....I have a HUGE shelf of doom in case anyone is wondering!

Just digging this up now so I can start posting updates again.  I have paused the cockpit for obvious reasons and have gone back to ordinance stuff.  Presently I am working on the Fisher  400 gal centerline fuel tank and the pylon it fits too.  I made the master for Paul many many moons ago.  Anyway, there are one or 2 areas that I now feel could be slightly improved.  I bluntened the nose a little but in the process lost my nice weld beads on there.  Tried fixing it and made it worse....ugh! Now it is all sanded smooth to re-do.

I am adding stiffener circular plates to where the sway braces contact the tank and have drilled several holes in the top (and also going through the pylon) to give solid attachment pins going right through the lower wing and be able to epoxy it in.  I don't want it jettisoning on the display cabinet in a few years time LOL.  But the good thing is that it serves as couplings and transfer lines to be replicated.    Also reworking the sway braces like I did with the other pylons.

All this weight means I am going to have to look at making new stronger (and much shorter) main u/c legs. The kit ones are awful.  

We need to petition Ali to make us some nice new ones like he did for the Phantom!!!

Sorry for lack of photo's, but hopefully soon when I have something more to show I will start posting again soon.

Cheers

Anthony

Ok, here is the centreline pylon in progress.  Note the copper pin to help secure whole thing to lower wing.

IMG_0759_zpshjv7dx4t.jpg

Here is the Fisher 400gal fuel tank I have been working on.  The doublers on the tank skin still need to be sanded to a scale thickness

IMG_0749_zpseqydsyhw.jpg

And here it is all slotted together.  There are still more couplings and plumbing to be added, but this is where I am at for now.

IMG_0761_zpsbwsvp25x.jpg

Thanks for looking in....finally progress!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ