Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

OK, finally got a chance to snap a photo of the resin gun cover:

yxJtj9.jpg

As you can see, it's more-or-less completely flat across the top. I'm pretty sure that this is a D-11 panel, and that Jerry has misidentified his old parts, but I'm prepared to be wrong. I guess I just need to know before I get too far with this build! Jerry?

Kev

OK, finally got a chance to snap a photo of the resin gun cover:

yxJtj9.jpg

As you can see, it's more-or-less completely flat across the top. I'm pretty sure that this is a D-11 panel, and that Jerry has misidentified his old parts, but I'm prepared to be wrong. I guess I just need to know before I get too far with this build! Jerry?

Kev

Yes,that is definetly a flat gun cover but what confuses me is the fact that I never sold a flat gun cover that was in 2 pieces.I am scratching my bald head on this one.

J

Yes,that is definetly a flat gun cover but what confuses me is the fact that I never sold a flat gun cover that was in 2 pieces.I am scratching my bald head on this one.

J

Well now, that is curious! Perhaps it's not your set after all Jerry. But if not, whose is it? (I could certainly use some instructions!)

Kev

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Guest Nigelr32

Nice work so far Kev,

I have the old Revell kit in my stash, with the Eduard set for it. I cannot believe just how bad all that raised detail looks these days?? We've all been spoilt.

I have the old Revell kit in my stash, with the Eduard set for it.

Ha, boy do I remember that old thing! I built one as my first build on LSP, when I was very much a rookie:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=15841

Worth checking out for a laugh. This Hasegawa kit is an order of magnitude better than that one, thankfully. But I had a heck of a lot of fun building it all the same.

Kev

Well, work has slowed down a bit, but I'm still plugging away. I managed to get the resin wing centre section glued into place, but it took me a three tries. I normally use Araldite 2-part epoxy glue for joining resin parts that have any kind of structural purpose, as it gives me a longer working time and great strength in the long run. This time however the glue never really hardened properly, remaining rubbery even after 24 hours. The joins came apart after I started to sand them. I starting again with CA, which worked well for the inside join, but one of the leading edge joins popped open again. Argh! I ended up dousing the gap with a huge dollop of straight CA, following by a bath of accelerator (during which I managed to tip the bottle over...). Anyway, this worked, so here's a photo after the first round of fairing in and a light coat of Mr. Surfacer:

DZvitG.jpg

There's still some work to do on the lower seam (though the photo doesn't reveal it). I deliberately avoided going all the way with the leading edge joins, as they're really fragile, and I didn't want them coming apart again. I need to get the wheel bay into place to provide some structural reinforcement before finishing them off.

Speaking of the wheel bays, they're going to provide a bit of a challenge I think. The one-piece resin part is slightly warped, most likely due to storage or shipping:

8Me1CR.jpg

I'm guessing the hot water technique should work here to straighten it out?

Kev

I'm guessing the hot water technique should work here to straighten it out?

Well, it did, but I managed to distort the rear wall while fetching it out of the hot water. :rolleyes: Then, while fiddling with it to see what I could do, the original warp came back! I cut my losses at that point, having ended up making things slightly worse. Anyway, lacking any instructions for this particular resin set, I was struggling to figure out the optimal assembly sequence. In the end, I decided to fit the engine bay to the wheel bay piece, figuring this would both reinforce the wheel bay and pull it into alignment. Which it did:

5xFyHe.jpg

Here it is test-fitted to the lower wing:

cEi7ek.jpg

Looks OK! However, reminiscent of the 190S wheel bays, I'll have very similar gaps to deal with:

1gVfrL.jpg

Given the nature of this assembly, I'll have to paint it - or at least the engine bay - prior to fixing it into place. But before I do either of those things, I'm going to have to scratch-build the cannon housings in the wheel bay, as the resin parts won't cut it:

JcZ6qF.jpg

Due to my slightly warped rear wall, they no longer span the bay fully, and the angle of the base end is now off on both parts. They're also a little roughly moulded. Rather than spend time fixing or adapting them, I think it will be easier to build them from scratch.

As ever, thanks for looking fellas!

Kev

Guest Nigelr32

Ha, boy do I remember that old thing! I built one as my first build .

Kev

Hi Kev,

I thought my old revell kit was ex Hasegawa, with the same wings as you have here?

Hi Kev,

I thought my old revell kit was ex Hasegawa, with the same wings as you have here?

Can you snap some photos Nige? The old Revell kit and the Hasegawa one I'm building here are two very different animals, though they share a similar parts breakdown. The Revell kit is a product of the late '60s, and is fully covered in raised surface detail. It also comes with an engine. The Hasegawa kit features a new fuselage with recessed surface detail, married to the old-tool wings from their 190A kit, covered in raised surface detail. As I said previously, it's an odd mix!

AFAIK, Revell have never reboxed this kit, so it would be interesting to confirm what you have.

Kev

Hi Kev,

The kit I have is Revell 04716, The FW-190 F-8. It's listed in this sites database as an old Hasegawa tooling.

Ah, gotcha. We're talking about two different kits. I thought you were referring to the old Revell Fw 190D-9 kit. You are indeed correct that the Revell F-8 is a re-boxing of the Hasegawa kit. However, I thought it was a re-boxing of the new-tool kit, rather than the old-tool one. So it's covered in raised surface detail? If so, then it's the same basic kit as the Hasegawa one I'm using in my 190S conversion. The one I'm using here is a partial 'upgrade' of that kit - so they all end up featuring the same wings.

Kev

A quick update to show the wheel bay cannon housings I've just finished:

n8syVg.jpg

They're not perfect, but an improvement I think. I'm not terribly fussed about the dodgy fit at the base, as you'll be hard pressed to notice when the this part is installed in the wing. Besides, I'm hoping to improve it slightly before fixing them permanently.

I am left with a bit of a conundrum though. I was originally planning to paint this assembly prior to installation, but I'll need to do a lot of filling and blending once it's installed. This of course tends to suggest I should paint it after installation, but the engine 'pit' will be difficult to get to for painting at that stage. I'm snookered! The obvious compromise I guess is to paint the engine bay up prior to assembly, install, fill and blend, and the paint and touch up the rest. Anybody got any better suggestions?

Kev

The obvious compromise I guess is the paint the engine bay up prior to assembly, install, fill and blend, and the paint and touch up the rest. Anybody got any better suggestions?

Sounds like you have answered your own question here Kev!...I certainly could not offer any better suggestion?...:speak_cool:

Derek

Sounds like you have answered your own question here Kev!...I certainly could not offer any better suggestion?...:speak_cool:

Derek

I believe you may be right Derek! Anybody got any suggestions for what colours to use in the engine bay? I'm thinking bay walls RLM 02, engine block and bits'n'bobs black, piping...?

Kev

Kev, I'd think RLM 66 for the structural stuff. I ussually try to break up the colors by varying the tones of some basic colors: greys, and blacks. Looks like you are having fun, and the duality of your builds seems complimentary.