The old Mosquito Restoration Project

Chris Wimmer

Hi everybody on LSP!

I must confess that I wasn't really a fan of the "Wooden Wonder" before. It rather happened on that one of the many evenings I scrolled down the 1:32 ebay content and suddenly spotted this old beauty. Built by a child in the 1970s, sitting there without its wheels and absolutely sorry looking- instantly my fingers began to itch like crazy and it took me only a few seconds more to buy the wreck at 5 Euros with the burning wish to bring it into a new life.

I joined this community yesterday, the build started about one year ago after I finished my "Another ole Revell Jug". You can search the "Articles"-section for it (or simply let Google do the job). Be warned that I'm a quite slow builder and my name is not Brian Cauchi, but I will try to do my very best...

Here we go!

IMG_7671a_zpsb7e1375b.jpg

IMG_7675a_zpsbd490cae.jpg

IMG_7680a_zpsafee4133.jpg

Now I feel honoured introducing you to the pilots of DZ 353. After 40 years in service I will release these guys into their well deserved retirement. They asked me to let them follow this build   :)    Does anybody know their names?

IMG_7667a_zpsfb86ce1e.jpg

The next step was sawing and milling the whole thing into pieces. Ouch, this really makes UGLY noises...

IMG_7696a_zps8e6981df.jpg

Ok, let's start construction. Not perfect, but good enough to my 47 years old eyes

IMG_7701a_zps922b71be.jpg

Made a new seat...

IMG_7702a_zps95d37b4f.jpg

Cockpit stuff. I love to place coins only to impress my non-modelling friends...

IMG_7786_zps65f5ee8f.jpg

IMG_8033_zpsa0c64365.jpg

Thank you, Kev! Had to learn that the upload limit is 10 pics. So here I have got something more to show:

Applied some paint. The green tone I used first turned out to be wrong. I tried to fix the problem and did a lousy brushing job...  :whistle:

IMG_8730_zps9f3f6aa4.jpg

the control column is wrong in shape. But somehow I like it. It's old Vintage Revell style, isn't it?

IMG_8728_zps132eea1b.jpg

I bought-and-sold another Mossie kit only to copy the wheels. Afterwards I found that they appear too big. They are >37mm in diameter and I don't really want to use them. I couldn't find any information about the Mosquito's actual wheel-size. Can anybody help me out here?

IMG_7708a_zpsf9ebd26a.jpg

Some detail work on the gear bays...

IMG_8718_zps9fa4a700.jpg

...and the engine compartment

IMG_8747_zpscc3bdaa5.jpg

Ok, the next thing to come was a real challenge: Taking the ugly revell block and trying to turn it into something that looks a bit like a Rolls Royce Merlin engine. The valve covers are epoxy casts from the Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb Kit. Good enough to my eye. More detail to be added...

IMG_8871_zps72655e4c.jpg

IMG_8872_zps21bcc5e1.jpg

Thanks for watching  :)

Chris

You certainly have your work cut out for you. I know you'll make a real jam-up job of the re-build though! I look forward to watching.

John

Edited by Guest

Canopy Stuff:

If you want to do a glass nose Mosquito and if you are smart, patient and less miserly than I am, you will probably wait for the future HK-release. But if someone out there has intentions to do one of the new old Revell Kits, I highly recommend not to use the kit canopy. My Mossie will have the Squadron replacement, and this is an enormous improvement, even it's not properly fitted yet:

IMG_8893_zps8f587e23.jpg

IMG_8892_zps39dfe118.jpg

IMG_8889_zpsa601f1ee.jpg

IMG_8891_zps9aa668d2.jpg

IMG_8890_zps37f53780.jpg

Chris