1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

Shaping up very nicely Pete :) (I know just how much time it takes to mix and fill each individual area of such a model - and just how much effort is required to sand and shape the stuff, let alone the huge amount of dust it produces!) :)

Derek

Outstanding work so far! This is what i love about this site.. learning how other people do amazing things so i can put a few more tricks in the tool box! Keep the updates coming.. can't wait to see how this turns out!

Hello again!

Once more-Thanks for all the encouragement! Icari...No, just a pilot...Timmy! too-but his brain is wired tighter than mine, so he's able to do stuff us mere mortals can't!

Wanted to show you a bit more of the shaping process. The T-38 has a ridge that runs along the canopy sill, back along the shoulders of the jet, and tapers into the top of the intake approaching the trailing edge of the wing. Tough shape to nail. The bulkheads got me really close, but the last bit of taper needed to be layed in with handwork. I tacked my full-size (1/16th scale) profile view on the wall, and used tracing paper to transfer the shape from the drawing to the model. I've localted the bulkheads on the detail drawing, and used them as a reference to accurately place the "shape" on the model:

SDC11505.jpg

Here's the curve area I need to sand back to reveal:

SDC11506.jpg

Using a flexible straight edge, I'm able to follow the curve precisely:

SDC11508.jpg

Shape transfered to tracing paper with bulkheads located for reference on the model:

SDC11509.jpg

Place the tracing on the model using the bulkhead locations:

SDC11511.jpg

I used my scribing needle in a pin vise to mark the location of the curve through the paper onto the model:

SDC11512.jpg

After about an hour of careful sanding got to here:

SDC11514.jpg

SDC11516.jpg

SDC11520.jpg

More to follow....

Pete

Pete,

What drawings were those 3D models based on?

Steve

Hey Steve-

Timmy! used multiple sources to come up with the final drawings..some I provided that I got from Northrop, and some others I had that needed work. I'm willing to bet that what Timmy! finally output are the most accurate T-38 drawings out there.

As talented as Willy Peters is, we found a lot of errors in his drawings in his otherwise outstanding T-38 book. The shapes are tough-There is not a kit manufacturer yet who has got it right. Timmy! is able to orient his drawings in the computer to match photographs, etc...If you need this kind of work done, he is the guy. His attention to detail and his critical eye is really impressive, to say the least..plus he's a helluva guy.

The challenge for me is to build to a level commensurate with the quality work that Timmy! has done for me! :frantic:

HTH

Pete

Very, very impressive.....i often say that things are inspiring to me, but this one surely is, the way your model is created, sequenced in stages, makes me learn so much on how to tackle this kind of scratch building.

I hope you'll be letting us share more progress in due time,

regards,

jack.

This is all quite amazing Pete - We seem to model and build in exactly the same manner! (It's all a little spooky :frantic:). Timmys! 3-d graphics are also simply awesome (I would love to have a set of drawings from them in 1/32 scale, as I am already fully convinced that they are the best on the planet already!). Keep up the (very hard) work Pete, it is really shaping up now.

Regards

Derek

This is all quite amazing Pete - We seem to model and build in exactly the same manner! (It's all a little spooky :D). Timmys! 3-d graphics are also simply awesome (I would love to have a set of drawings from them in 1/32 scale, as I am already fully convinced that they are the best on the planet already!). Keep up the (very hard) work Pete, it is really shaping up now.

Regards

Derek

I'd like to get a set of those cross-sections. :evil_laugh: