AK Interactive GAUZY AGENT GLASS COAT Issues

Collin

Picked up some of this to see how it would work on canopies.

It's a milky, thicker than Future like solution. Dip your canopy in and you have to really get the excess off or you will have some noticeable dried rivers of wavy clear in your dried canopy. Overall, it does put down a glossy finish.

When dry, it's almost like a very thin glue-like layer over the clear part, a layer that is thicker than dried Future.

I am doing a 1/48 F4F canopy now and allowed the dipped canopy parts a week to dry. I laid down Tamiya tape and that didn't have any affect on the AK Gauzy layer. When I cut out the canopy frames and removed the tape to expose the canopy frame...it started to peel off the AK layer. Seems if you cut into the thin AK layer anywhere on the dipped canopy, the tape will pull up the layer.

I dipped the canopy in a bath of Windex, removed the AK layer (takes about 1-2 minutes for it to dissolve), and dipped the parts in Future. Honestly the look of Future once dry is better IMO. No issue with applying tape and removing tape with a Future base.

This is just an observation from my actions. I think if you were using pre-cut canopy masks on a AK Gauzy dipped canopy... you should be OK, as long as you don't puncture or break the base dried layer of AK. If you do that, chances are you will peel up the AK Gauzy when you remove the masks.

Collin

Edited by Collin

Thanks, its the same type of thing I found in the long distant past with Testors Metalizer clear sealer. It would pull up very easily if you tried securing tape to it.

Good to know. I enjoy and use many different AK products, but this is one I'll stear clear of.