Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Looking GREAT tho, Brady.   I'm a few steps behind you and am going to try the Flory wash for the first time too. But your paint looks AMAZING and can't wait to see how it finishes up!

Thank you Brian for the uplifting words. Can you tell me which specific pilot you're referring me to from True Details. A pilot figure from true details isn't coming to mind, just conversions.

Thanks,

Brady

It would have been MUCH more helpful to you if I had mentioned the CORRECT COMPANY that I was referring to.    :lol:  I was thinking Master Details, and typing True Details...........

Its this one I was referring to:

http://masterdetails.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=13&virtuemart_category_id=6&Itemid=151

Hello everyone,

I'm back with my finishing touches to this bird. Then I say stick a fork in it because this bird is done.

I used pastels for the first time on a model for the powder stains from the gun muzzles. This was a shot in a dark for me since I haven't used pastels at all since I was in elementary school in art class. Overall I made a stripe with the pastel and smudged them out with a Q-tip. If there are better ways to do this I'm open to suggestions. Here's what mine turned out to look like:

Left

IMG_20150708_173438_947_zpsuqeud4aq.jpg

Right

IMG_20150708_173238_046_zps8busz7fl.jpg

Here's what she looks like from a few angles with and without the cowling panels.

IMG_20150708_160914_301_zpsvvmzay92.jpg

IMG_20150708_161046_904_zpsxaufjprc.jpg

IMG_20150708_161227_751_zpslmhyo88m.jpg

IMG_20150708_161436_857_zps8sppmyxx.jpg

IMG_20150708_161456_319_zpsqv1lzd4m.jpg

IMG_20150708_161727_823_zpsrnsj6bgp.jpg

IMG_20150708_162036_305_zpsuui8zbn8.jpg

IMG_20150708_162206_787_zps5vk6qaef.jpg

The only thing I've considered still doing is a coat of flat. But, I don't think I have any so I may just call it done and give this to our family friend who is a WWII veteran. I already have missed veteran's day and the 4th of July as special occasions to give it to him so I'm kinda antsy to give it to him.

This build has been some firsts for me such as using paint masks for markings instead of decals, using pastels, trying an oil wash, and just a 1/32 aircraft in general. In the past I've done lots of 1/48 scale aircraft, now I'm not sure what I want to do next. I'd considered taking on two of Tamiya's 1/32 birds, a Birdcage Corsair and a U.S. captured A6M2, because I could paint them both the same exterior colors of blue. I may be biting off more than I can chew there though. I've also considered doing the same bird in 1/48 scale along with the next 1/32 I choose because some of them I have the markings in both scales and the models to do it with. The 1/48 scale however would definitely be finished long before the 1/32 no matter what it was. Ah decisions decisions....

Anyway thanks for all the support along the way of this build I hope you've all enjoyed it like I have. Thank you especially Sluggo for making me the masking set, I'll be coming back for more masks later.

Cheers,
Brady 

Just excellent work Brady!  Beautiful all around and love the polished drop tanks - very nice!  Well done with the pastels too - not over done as is so very easy to do.

Looking forward to your next project!

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Nothing new on the model itself other than I finally got to give it to our family friend who is a WWII veteran. When I gave it to him he loved it and placed it on the shelf next to his family's photos. Bob said that Christmas came a little early for him this year and that it was the best gift anyone had given him in quite a long time. He was also quite impressed with the advances in models since he was a kid when they just had balsa models. I just wanted to share this awesome moment I got to have with this model with everyone.

Cheers,

Brady