Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

Some not terribly inspiring shots just showing that the cockpit is completed, pilot in position and the fuselage closed up.  Further treatment to fill those rivets is needed followed by building up some of the overlapping panels then Archer raised rivets:

DSCN9401_zpsi3wpzrye.jpg

DSCN9404_zpsaozz7yoj.jpg

DSCN9403_zpss4yepgz6.jpg

Now, question for the Spitfire experts!  I'm still hoping to do my original idea of the IIb shown in the photo in my first post, so if I transplant some of these cannon blisters from the Tamiya IXc wing, will it be "closer" to a IIb?

DSCN9400_zpseabgjinj.jpg

Max

Some not terribly inspiring shots just showing that the cockpit is completed, pilot in position and the fuselage closed up.  Further treatment to fill those rivets is needed followed by building up some of the overlapping panels then Archer raised rivets:

DSCN9401_zpsi3wpzrye.jpg

DSCN9404_zpsaozz7yoj.jpg

DSCN9403_zpss4yepgz6.jpg

Now, question for the Spitfire experts!  I'm still hoping to do my original idea of the IIb shown in the photo in my first post, so if I transplant some of these cannon blisters from the Tamiya IXc wing, will it be "closer" to a IIb?

DSCN9400_zpseabgjinj.jpg

Max

Those blisters would not be appropriate for a B wing. 

Here is a drawing by Jumpei Temma that may be of assistance, and a link to more Spitfire drawings at his site: http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/spit5b/spit5b-1.html

5top.jpg

And an image of the lower wing. Note that the blister is asymmetric.

Vbunderside.jpg

RB

Superb work Max, I am very much liking your figure painting skills.I really like this kit, it has its issue's but a Mk II for 20 quid is a great starting point foe me.

Looking forward to more. Regards. Andy

Superb work Max, I am very much liking your figure painting skills.I really like this kit, it has its issue's but a Mk II for 20 quid is a great starting point foe me.

Looking forward to more. Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy, agreed about the value of the kit, can't beat it for £20 and the issues just provide the extra challenge don't they to make life interesting. I've got three builds from LSP bookmarked so I'm aiming to incorporate bits of those into mine.

Max

Its a great kit Max which has at times for me has been unfairly hammered.......I built mine as a Mk Ia..........

DSCN1295_zpsux7dx8wa.jpg

I thought by now Revell would have made more of these sprue's but maybe got bored after being slated??

Looking forward to more progress on your build.

Regards. andy

Making progress, though rather slow right now :(  .  Following Iain's lead from a while ago I've been trying to get the overlapping panels effect on the spine of the fuselage, I've used some spare Vallejo Olive Drab.  It's taken several coats and different layers of masking and the effect is quite subtle, but it is there!  Whether it's worth the effort is a moot point but I don't think I'll be doing the rest of the fuselage......

DSCN9484_zps4zf05tsl.jpg

Meanwhile, Barracuda Studio's upgrades for the radiator and oil cooler are in progress.  I found these small bits very time consuming both to clean up (removing the casting blocks is really quite tricky) and to fit accurately though I'm pleased with the final fit of the radiator into the wing.

DSCN9482_zpsjtmurywq.jpg

DSCN9479_zps3kktq1wi.jpg

I hope it won't be too long before the wings are together and in place but in the meantime I've been practising my freehand airbrush skills with the camouflage patterns on an old 1/48th Hurricane.
Max

Thank you Guy, Maru and Dennis. Do you know, I think the modelling faeries must have visited my house last night because today the Spitfire has just fallen together with hardly a seam showing worthy of the name! Really impressed with the Revell kit.....I know there are shortcomings but again, as a £20 kit it's damn good value for money. Pics tomorrow. :)

Max