Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

I tapped out on the painting of a Bf109G-14 Red 13 Wild Sau I saw in Bret Greens' Modelling the Messerschmitt Bf109F and early G series and started scratching stuff for this and a K-4, which I'll post in another thread. My apologies for such large pictures.

DSCN4953.jpg
The inner edge of the triangle inserts are bevelled. Added a drilled out gun barrel.

DSCN4951.jpg
Gun trough opened up. Top side.

DSCN4952.jpg
Gun trough, bottom.

DSCN4950.jpg
Exhausts opened a bit. Smoothed out with liquid glue. Gun barrels drilled and suppressors opened.

DSCN4954.jpg
New antenna wire. Drilled out and thinned rack openings.

DSCN4955.jpg
Top side. Breather tubes. Two on top. One on point.

DSCN4956.jpg
Drain, I suppose. Shortened trailing edge. I saw this somewhere.

DSCN4958.jpg
The drop tank mounts into white tube. Blue drains. Opened up chutes. I don't plan on lining them.

DSCN4993.jpg
Mounting hole, I suppose. Pressed rivits.
Still to come: Cockpit, wheel wells, tailplane, and misc. stuff

Sincerely,
Mark

Edited by dodgem37

DSCN4959.jpg

I have no idea as to what many of these details are. But I saw them in photographs.

DSCN4960.jpg

Sanded down the pedals, carefully trimmed away the excess, and added rolled strip as leather straps.

DSCN4961.jpg

Side 3.

DSCN4962.jpg

Side 4. The hole in the floor is so the fuel line can go thru the floor. I saw this in a photograph somewhere.

DSCN4964.jpg

Right side. Carpet monster ate the fuel flow sight tubing. I'll make another.

DSCN4965.jpg

Left side. A part fell off. I have to make a new one. I messed up on locating the cockpit light on both sides,

running it thru the cockpit edge instead of over it. Oh well.

DSCN4963.jpg

Just a couple of handles here.

DSCN4995.jpg

New access panel with fasteners.

DSCN4957.jpg

Tailplane stuff. I tried my hand at simulating with paint the ribbing that continues around the plane.

I don't know if this is true, but it seemed to make sense to me.

DSCN4997.jpg

Trying to figure out the wheel well detail.

This next series of pictures show a project that was probably the most stressfull scratchbuilding project I have ever done.

Mostly because once I sanded off the detail there was no turning back and I had no choice but to do it if I wanted to save the kit.

Sincerely,

Mark

When I posted the Ludwig Franzisket Bf109G-6 I stated the wheel well detail was beyond my skill level,

but that was because I was being too mentally lazy to try to figure it out. So with this kit I gave it a go.

It may be right, it may be wrong. But it's done.

DSCN4967.jpg

Right wheel well, looking outward toward wingtip.

DSCN4971.jpg

Right wheel well, looking forward.

DSCN4969.jpg

Right wheel well, looking inward. I tried to smooth things out with paint pigment.

DSCN4968.jpg

Right wheel well, looking backward. I tried my hand at making the radiator cooling flap mechanism.

A little cleanup looks like its needed.

DSCN4973.jpg

Left wheel well, looking toward wing tip.

DSCN4972.jpg

Left wheel well, looking forward.

DSCN4975.jpg

Left wheel well, looking inward.

DSCN4974.jpg

Left wheel well, looking rearward.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Vaughn.

There were so many pictures I lost count of where I was and what I was doing. Here is the last one.

DSCN4949.jpg

Landing gear. Pictures show some sort of rod and attachment on the landing gear door. Opened up the scissor link.

Added brake lines. Nothing fancy like I have done before, since they are hidden behind the wheel and tire.

Sincerely,

Mark

Fantastic! I really like it when a kit gets dressed up like this. Great attention to detail. The treatment of the tail pieces is very nice. Those wheel wells are off the chart! Keep up the great work.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I haven't put much effort on this kit as I have been putting most of my

time into the wheel wells of a Bf109K-4. But I decided to take a break from all of that figurin' out

and did some little bits.

DSCN5028.jpg

I put in the fuselage gun chutes anyway. I glued together some plastic strip, stuck on a piece of double-sided

adhesive film to hold a thin aluminum strip in place, wrapped the aluminum around the plastic strip, removed it, and dropped it in place.

The aluminum is cut from a top of an aluminum pan. The tops are much thinner than the pan bottoms.

DSCN5025.jpg

I bent a brass rod to hold a spring I'll eventually make.

DSCN5026.jpg

I made exhaust sheilds out of the same stuff. Sanded it down a bit.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you. That is such a nice compliment.

I wasn't planning to do the flex hose for the landing gear, but as I mentioned in the K-4 post, I received a PM from

'He who must not be named', so. . .

DSCN5038.jpg

I did them.

DSCN5040.jpg

The antenna with a spring and sewing machine invisible thread as the wire. One of the springs will become

the cockpit spring that helps hold the open canopy in position. The other will do the same for the K-4 canopy.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

I've been spending a lot of time working on the wheel wells of the K-4 found in 'Ready For Inspection' and have only been doing bits and pieces on this build, but I haven't forgotten this build by any means. When both builds are ready in my mind for cockpit painting I will venture there. Much of the miscellaneous efforts and details between the two aircraft are similar.

In the meantime, this is what I've done that will apply here:

DSCN5051.jpg

The light grey tank is for the K-4. The darker grey tank is for the G-14. I had wanted to detail the retaining strap on the G-6 build

but couldn't find any clear imagery on the web or in my references when lo and behold I found a fastening condition in an engine compartment

that looked similar, or impressed me as looking similar, and drew a sketch so I could see if I could scratch it. You may notice that the darker

grey tank has longer straps than the lighter grey. The darker grey was the first effort. The metal strips are 5mm long. The lighter grey tank the second

effort, with 4mm strips, which has a better proportion.

DSCN5048.jpg

I had the idea of constructing the canopy defrosting conduit so I made this. This is the first fine tuning effort. It's still curing.

After it dries I'll see if any more fine tuning is necessary.

That's all for now.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark... you are certifiably insane... this is beautiful work. Russ would be breaking out the pudding cups while he watched this !

Could you go into a bit more depth about the fastener you built for the belly tank please ? I'm taking notes for my next 109 build.

Cheers

Vaughn