Kawasaki Ki61-I Hein. (To be completed)

mpk

Awesome, Dale! Great progress!

I had issues with Techmod's as well -- not falling apart, but trying to get them conform to anything but a nice flat surface! Reminds of Tamiya's decals.

Keep going!

Cheers mate.

Yeah it came as a shock. They really don't settle well at all and I found myself having to press them down. I found the Hasegawa decals to be superior!???

The mottling on the tail is not as good as it should be. I found my airbrush wasn't as clean as I'd like. I am having issues with the little Sparmax too. I've cleaned and cleaned it to no avail. May break out the Iwata tomorrow.

While work on the Tony has been drying I've been working on that Oscar. Getting my head around the PE. It's so far in now it likely deserves it's own thread! :)

The Oscar was a complete accident based on Hubert's model. I must PM him because the Eduard instructions don't show one how to attach the IP. 

It's now 3.24 PM and I've been working on the Tony since 8.00 AM. Now I'll switch to the Oscar. :)

Edited by mpk

HI Dale,

Looking good!   Glad to see you hammering away at it.

Techmod decals are really thin, so easy to ruin.  But once you get them pressed down, you can just about forgo solvent.  Don't try to slide them if they don't want to go.  If they don't go easy, give em' more time in the water and resting while wet.  You've got to float them onto a large bead of water gently.  If they end up where you don't want them, use a paint brush to add more water so they can be floated again.  Dragging them is bad news.

Edited by Gazzas

HI Dale,

Looking good!   Glad to see you hammering away at it.

Techmod decals are really thin, so easy to ruin.  But once you get them pressed down, you can just about forgo solvent.  Don't try to slide them if they don't want to go.  If they don't go easy, give em' more time in the water and resting while wet.  You've got to float them onto a large bead of water gently.  If they end up where you don't want them, use a paint brush to add more water so they can be floated again.  Dragging them is bad news.

Cheers mate. Sadly mine simply wanted to self destruct. 

I am really wondering why the Mark Fit left stains. The Mr product was just fine.

Oh well.

Thanks again mate. :)

Perhaps your decals were a little (or a lot) old.  I wish they all had a print date on them so we could avoid buying decals that are trashed though they look ok.  I buy a lot of older, second-hand kits, so I always have to consider decals.  I wonder how many guys have hundreds of kits with useless decals??

just makes me want to build more, faster.

Cheers!

Gaz

She looks nice mate I am scratch building a 1/24 Tony at the moment so I take an interest in this bird what was the problem with the NMF it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Guy

That's looking good, I also had problems with Techmod decals, splitting apart, also they tended to stick immediately, not giving me any "wiggle" time

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Indeed. That has been a problem, not moveable. As well as breaking apart on the paper.

She looks nice mate I am scratch building a 1/24 Tony at the moment so I take an interest in this bird what was the problem with the NMF it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Guy

My problem is I don't think I polished the base coat enough. So certain areas look a little off. Aside from that it's okay. :)

Wow, this is turning pretty cool!   Except of course for the decal part. :(         Maybe I missed it...................any luck on replacements? 

Thanks mate.

I won't bother with replacements. I simply want to complete this thing and use the knowledge gained on my next build. All I have to place on it is the red tail band. I should have painted it but didn't think. (Another part of my experience for the next build.)

This model is nothing more than a test of my concentration. I don't care about it at all really. I still have two Aires cockpits, so will build another one and put it in foreign colours.

I actually want to build a Tamiya kit next but they are so gorgeous I'm getting in more practice before beginning one. :)

Cheers mate.

Yeah it came as a shock. They really don't settle well at all and I found myself having to press them down. I found the Hasegawa decals to be superior!???

The mottling on the tail is not as good as it should be. I found my airbrush wasn't as clean as I'd like. I am having issues with the little Sparmax too. I've cleaned and cleaned it to no avail. May break out the Iwata tomorrow.

While work on the Tony has been drying I've been working on that Oscar. Getting my head around the PE. It's so far in now it likely deserves it's own thread! :)

The Oscar was a complete accident based on Hubert's model. I must PM him because the Eduard instructions don't show one how to attach the IP. 

It's now 3.24 PM and I've been working on the Tony since 8.00 AM. Now I'll switch to the Oscar. :)

How to attach the Eduard's instruments panel?

Well, first it is necessary to remove the original Hasegawa's mounting points.

What I did next was:

1. Glued the fuselage halves together, without the cockpit tube

2. Installed the IP from below using the blue-tac, and then I secured the join with a CA and left it to dry.

3. Installed the cockpit tube (it is necessary to remove the original Hasegawa's mounting points).

Voila :)

As for the Techmod decals, indeed those older (printed on the white paper) bring a lot of troubles usually.

Worth to try to use warm/almost hot water, sometimes it works.

Best regards

Hubert

Still going. I took a few days off. 

This is it tonight. I'm not happy with the mottling and may tidy it up with my Iwata. I think the needle in that is better for fine lines than that in my infinity. (I need to address that.)

Sadly most of the decals are Hasegawa. But I don't care. I'm already planning my real build and considering completing a couple of older kits in the new GB.

Today I also used artist oils Silver on the reverse side of the prop. It looks good and is tucked away in it's own little plastic container.

20170605_203330_zpsfqlxi2sq.jpg