Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Iain , are we close to laying the keel yet??

Imminent Jeff, imminent!

I re-posted a piece on Facebook the other day commemorating the 76th anniversary of her sinking - 6 am on 24th May.

So now is a time to get cracking...

Iain

Iain, sounds awesome, and I can't wait..... for us who will most likely never see this kit, before you start would you be so kind as to 'scale' it out, as in , if you could take a photo of the bare hull with something or someone so we can get an idea of scale effect, please... I know you said 52 inches, and I am having a tough time wrapping my head around such a large kit, this must be 'massive'....... I am so excited to watch this come together.....and have your back on this one all the way...even if I am 25000 miles away.. :popcorn:

Hi Jeff,

Took a couple of photos earlier today with my son to give an idea of the size - will post in next few days when I can get on the family computer to download the images.

Meanwhile - a small start has been made on the hull with filling the areas where the sprues have been cut from the bottom of the hull in the Trumpeter factory - quite large attachment points and some quite large divots on mine. I've used superglue as a filler (to avoid any future shrinkage issues) and sanded back with an orbital sander (yes - power tools already!).

About to start removing the moulded-in degausing cables - to be replaced with etched brass.

Iain

As far as I'm aware, there's only the 1/200 Nichimo kit, which is old and discontinued and goes for very high prices now.  The molding is poor, fit and finish are poor and there's a large lack of detail in the kit.  Even with the gold medals PE...and yes, I have a 1/200 Yamato Nichimo in my stash (is there anything that I don't have lol!).  

I heard rumours of Trumpeter doing a 1/200 Yamato, but I have not been able to find any information on whether this happened or not.  I have a lot of references on the 1/200 yamato too (and the Bismarck).  I even have the ultra rare "Schlachtschiff Bismarck - Das Modell" by Josef Kaiser.

Last year, I saw this large scale Yamato - built entirely out of toothpicks!

CxpbjXBWEAEPLWM.jpg

TOOTH PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????  Now that takes some engineering for sure, wow...

Iain, no pressure, buddy, I am just so interested in this, and that is saying something, as I am a total 'airplane' guy, but this is such a cool project and what I'd call a massive undertaking, but I'm sure the end result will be nothing less than spectacular to say the least.......I'm really looking forward to your progress reports....

Thanks for sharing this one

Jeff

Still not sure where mine will live when done...

Size - posted the first image when I got her - with 1:32 B-17 and 109E for a comparison with my 'normal' scale/size:

IMG_9134_zps1hfmp9dq.jpg

And my (tall for a 10 year old) son Cameron holding the beast:

IMG_9954_zpsa2bf0kud.jpg

IMG_9955_zps0g5rh0xv.jpg

Hull bottom now smooth and all mould lines removed - still cutting away the moulded in degausing cables - so not a lot to show just yet...

Iain

HOLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's BIG, or your son is only a foot tall!   I'm not sure I have ever seen one that big , unless in a museum........ I'd love to try my hand at that, BUT I don't think I have enough days left in my life to finish it, and I DEFINITELY don't have anywhere to display it........ well, maybe the Kootenay Lake.... wow , thanks for that Iain, that really puts things into perspective......... holy, I can't get over that....................... I am now even more excited to watch this progress.....please post photos as you go, this is really cool....

• 4 weeks later...

Iain, I know it's summer and all, I just didn't want to miss anything with this build, I am guessing it is more of a slow time project, when time permits....? I wish I had the skills to allemt something fo this magnitude, although I'd be scared that it is so big I'd lose interest......but in your case, if you did, then Cameron could take over eh?? LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to build a 1/200 Bismarck and also the Hood as a pair.

But it took me the better part of two years to get through my Felixstowe...

It would take a decade on a ship like one of these.

Ernie,

Even if I wanted to join you with the USS Arizona, I don't have enough years left, nor retirement funds to even consider a build of this magnitude.

Joel

• 1 month later...
Hi Ian,
Just wanted to tell you that I have had a good look at the funnel frets #5 & #6 and apart from a different layout (and size of funnel of course) they seam to have the same parts.
Now the Pontos onstructions are somewhat lacking and there are many parts on each fret so I might have missed something....
I am still trying to work out how to keep organised during this build, one thing that I have done is create a PE part map, a basic list of each fret and what numbers it contains.
Let me know if you would like a copy.
I'm looking forward to seeing some progress from you some time in the future.