B-17G 'A Bit O' Lace'

Iain

See you there Steve!

Postie delivered the last parcel this morning - a couple of items from Hannants - stencil decals and belts:

IMG_8148_zps2omcmdna.jpg

So that's about it for 'aftermarket' - the rest is up to me.

Now - where are my scalpels?

Iain

Will watch this closely, Iain. Am especially interested to see your three-piece waist windows.

The B-17 is my all time fave and I literally have hundreds of references. If you need any info regarding interior colours then shout - despite us regularly seeing B-17 models painted US Interior Green throughout, not a drop was ever used on the Fortress, regardless of mark/model. It's a *very* common error made *very* often!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for chiming in on interior colours...

My semi-educated guess is that this airframe would havd been Dark Green in the cockpit area, natural metal nose area, bomb bay, radio compartment and rear fuselage - with floors either natural ply, or non-slip rubber covered (black). Bulkheads natural metal. Some individual components Dark Green, or Zinc Chromate etch primer?

'Dark Green' could also have been 'Bronze Green', or 'Dull Dark Green'?

Three separate and distinct colours?

Does that chime with your research?

Also - would she have had the Olive Drab quilting on the cockpit side walls?

Any pointers - from anyone - appreciated as I want to start painting stuff!  :)

Iain

Well - no turning back now!  :frantic:

A little progress over the weekend (in addition to assembling bombs and oxygen cylinders) - the waist positions are now un-staggered.

Glazing is the kit one placed in situ to ensure the frame that's been moved stays in shape as the glue dried.

IMG_8153_zpssgows0ya.jpg

IMG_8151_zpsar6jnpwu.jpg

Have also been making a master for the wing tip vents.

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Nice start on the Fortress. Looking forward to your next update

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Tom,

Thanks for chiming in on interior colours...

My semi-educated guess is that this airframe would havd been Dark Green in the cockpit area, natural metal nose area, bomb bay, radio compartment and rear fuselage - with floors either natural ply, or non-slip rubber covered (black). Bulkheads natural metal. Some individual components Dark Green, or Zinc Chromate etch primer?

'Dark Green' could also have been 'Bronze Green', or 'Dull Dark Green'?

Three separate and distinct colours?

Does that chime with your research?

Also - would she have had the Olive Drab quilting on the cockpit side walls?

Any pointers - from anyone - appreciated as I want to start painting stuff!  :)

Iain

Yes, you're spot on.

Only the cockpit was painted and this was 'dark dull green' and also known as bronze green. All other areas of the interior were left unpainted.

Indeed the cockpit sidewalls often had olive green padding, but this was also removed regularly due to maintainance and repairs etc.

Floors were indeed plywood with rubber anti-slip matting. This too was removed from time to time as it became damaged and worn, but pictures of bare wood floors are few and far between.

Interior doors were also painted plywood (again dark dull green) and not bare wood as often depicted in models.

From what I've seen and read, zinc chromate was not used and the very few painted areas and components were dark dull green or bronze green.

Hope that helps.

Tom

That's really helpful information Tom...Thanks!  :thumbsup:

I'm building my HK kit as Sally B circa 1983, so I think I have to slap a lot more paint on my interior. Your info will come in really useful for a 1/48 401st BG B-17 I have in the pipeline.

Iain: I will be watching your thread and learning lots no doubt :popcorn:  Good start so far. How do you rate the Kits World stencil and data decals? 

Regards;
Steve

It was spread out over several issues, across the course of about 18 months or so, if I remember rightly. That's why David ultimately packaged the articles together and released them as a standalone publication:

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/product.php?productid=18622

Kev

Its a great publication and very inspirational too boot. Keep up the good work iain, Telford awaits! 

Nice work with the window move. I rally must update my build thread, distinctly lacking

Edited by Phartycr0c

Cheers Tom!

Also believe internal doors were often removed completely?

Hi Steve, not had a close look at the stencils yet but appear fairly comprehensive. Has stencils for the bombs as well - although I've only found one of those so far!!

Iain

Just had a quick look at the Kits World website. The sheet looks pretty good and I didn't realise it came with the national insignia too. I'd like their Sally B sheet, but it has the later incarnation of Sally, so I'll have to think of another plan there!

Regards;

Steve