HK B-25J/PBJ Questions

otis252

Hey guys, I was able to pick up the HK B-25J kit at a great price and it sure looks fantastic! But I've got some questions. I've got the Eduard cockpit set/wheels coming along with the AMS gun blisters, what else would you suggest? I seem to remember a rear gun "cover" and a nose weight, are those available? I plan on building mine as a Marine PBJ from VMB-433, any ideas what to do about the markings as none are available and anything that must be done to convert the kit to a PBJ-1J? Thanks for any help.

Chuck

I would also HIGHLY suggest G Factor metal landing gear legs, I also used a lot of profi stuff, eduard and brassin wheels and tires, and all Harold at AMS makes plus weights to keep the nose down yet not be seen. I'm thankful I have the G factor gear to hold it up.

=-) 

Paul

Thanks guys, I do have the G-Factor gear on the way. That's probably a must have for this monster. The Profimodeler set appears to be for a gun nose version& I'm wanting to do a bomber PBJ, but I'm going to look into it. Anything else?

Chuck

The Profimodeler set is for the PBJ-1H variant.  If you are wanting to do the PBJ-1J, you need to find a pic of which aircraft as they varied quite a bit especially on how the radar was mounted.  Some didn't have the external wingtip pod.  You can get away with using the majority of the kit, but you definitely need to get the AMS props and GFactor landing gear.  I bought the Master barrel set for the B-17 as it has more than enough for a cheaper price than buying them all separately.  I also got several of the Eduard detail sets especially for the cockpit as I believe they do a better job than HK did.  Finally, I would recommend the PBJ Mitchel Units of the Pacific War in the Osprey Combat Aircraft series.

Edited by nichenson

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm doing the PBJ-1H "8 Ball" from the Profi kit, and it's a great kit, but I don't think it'll apply at all for the J in any of it's variations except for one or two small details.

If I were doing a J, I'd source the radar pod from Lone Star Models if you're using the wingtip pod. For the ugly glass nose mounted version, you'll need to scratch it.  Then just use masks for the decals. It should be an easy conversion.

There's lots of reference material out there on PBJs, including a couple of good books.

AMS props and gearboxes NEEDED, as are Brassin wheels and brass gear legs. Metal gun barrels are a must and of course, HGW seatbelts.

I think the kit pit is decent enough, although of course, I'm using the Profi H panel, gunsight and other goodies along with the right seat removed, etc.