tutorials on how to paint wood using oils on Wingnut Wings?

1to1scale

WNW has some stuff on their website, also there should be some video's on YouTube as well. In my opinion YouTube might be the best source as you can see some demo's on it. That is kind of my go to anymore on modeling technique how to instructions.

Also with artist oils, if you don't like it you can just dump a bunch of mineral spirit on wipe it down and start over. Oils dry over a period of days so you have lots of time to adjust your results.

Agreed. Pretty hard to mess up, since all wood pieces can vary so much from piece to piece.  Id say grab some scrap pieces, paint them with some Tamiya Desert yellow, or your lightish yellow acrlyic color of your choice, get a tube of Sienna or the like oil, and go to town experimenting. 

You might be surprised at the great results you get, even first time out.   I might also suggest getting some "Japan Drier" from Hobby Lobby too. It will speed the drying time from days or even weeks to hours.  Personally, I thin my oils strictly with JD vs actual oil thinner since it speeds up the drying time by 3 or 4 fold. 

Thanks, I have been looking at Youtube, but all the videos I found were widely varying technique. So I have more questions than answers right now.I will check out wingnut's website too. I picked up some oils and brushes at a craft store today, i want to spray some deck tan on the pieces tonight and start playing around. Maybe I start with some practice scrap. 

Start with some practice material.  Spray/brush a coat of fairly light tan/beige/sand paint (any type.)  When dry, apply a THIN layer of oil paint (burnt umber or a similar brown shade) using a sponge/tissue/brush.  Excess oil paint will be removed in the next step.  For simulating wood grain I use a cheap water color brush with all but about 1/4" of the bristles cut off.  "Scrub" a wood grain pattern wiping excess oil paint from the brush as you "scrub" the surface.  The coarseness of the bristles, the pressure of your "scrubbing" and the amount of oil paint removed by this process will determine the end color and subtlety of the grain.  Once the oil paint has thoroughly dried an application of gloss clear coat tinted with a touch of orange and/or yellow will give a pretty good simulation of a varnished wood surface.  Again, do your experimenting on some scrap plastic or sprue remnants until you reach the effect that pleases you.

Google search "Umlaufmotor" (user name) as well as Uschi Van Der Rosten's "Plywood and canvas".

You will find how to's and informative build threads of theirs at a whole bunch of websites, including the aerodrome.

The technique is simple; start with acrylic paint (many like Tamiya desert yellow; others flesh), apply thinned oil paint, wipe off with sponge or stiff brush depending on the effect you want.  Some then go over that with combinations of clear yellow and clear orange Tamiya acrylic, though I think that tends to make the wood too dark.

One trick to remember when working with artists' oil colors: squeeze the paint onto a paper towel or index card or cardboard....let it sit for 5 minutes.  The linseed oil in the paint will leech out of it and the paint you apply to the model will dry very quickly indeed, instead of taking a week or 2.

Uschi Van Der Rosten's "Plywood and Canvas"

DSC08208Medium-vi.jpg

14Medium-vi.jpg

Edited by ringleheim

If you've downloaded the plugin to display the pictures hosted on Photobucket, i made a small tutorial on my Albatros D.Va WIP. It's not with oil but with artist acrylics, but that's about the same thing, though with a few small differences.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51336&page=2&do=findComment&comment=720988

Google search "Umlaufmotor" (user name) as well as Uschi Van Der Rosten's "Plywood and canvas".

You will find how to's and informative build threads of theirs at a whole bunch of websites, including the aerodrome.

The technique is simple; start with acrylic paint (many like Tamiya desert yellow; others flesh), apply thinned oil paint, wipe off with sponge or stiff brush depending on the effect you want.  Some then go over that with combinations of clear yellow and clear orange Tamiya acrylic, though I think that tends to make the wood too dark.

One trick to remember when working with artists' oil colors: squeeze the paint onto a paper towel or index card or cardboard....let it sit for 5 minutes.  The linseed oil in the paint will leech out of it and the paint you apply to the model will dry very quickly indeed, instead of taking a week or 2.

Uschi Van Der Rosten's "Plywood and Canvas"

DSC08208Medium-vi.jpg

14Medium-vi.jpg

Thank you, I never realized why people did the paper towel. Now I know.

If you've downloaded the plugin to display the pictures hosted on Photobucket, i made a small tutorial on my Albatros D.Va WIP. It's not with oil but with artist acrylics, but that's about the same thing, though with a few small differences.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51336&page=2&do=findComment&comment=720988

unfortunately, I use an iPad at home and not a computer. I am hoping Apple will fix the IOS for this issue.