1/24 Hawker Fury Biplane Scratchbuild

Jim Barry

Thanks Kev! 

So today I managed to further "restore" wing 1.0 with its  totally blown decal on the starboard wing.  It was touch and go there for a bit, but since I printed 8 roundels I can mess up without much penalty. It took three decals to get it right. Bad luck I guess. The port side went on like a dream and not one issue.  Then it was on to the gear supports struts, something that I've been reluctant to get into until I had fixed the main strut  length. So here's a picture. She is really steady on her feet now. I think appearance and effect (my primary focus)  is right where I hoped it would be. I'm now coming close to 6 months on the job here and have a new appreciation for my wife who spent 9 months building each of our our two kids. No wonder she is so protective! 

Km19au.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Thanks gents! Always feels good to hear praise  from others that do such incredibly high quality work themselves. 

I had some excellent days modelling lately and seem to be in high gear again. There is NO doubt the last 5%-10% of the build are tough. It still demands much attention and love and affection but gnawing at your enthusiasm is the list of errors that seem to cloud the day.  Given the amount of control I have here, it's almost inexcusable to have an error unless I allow for shortcomings. This is like a short circuit. I care, but I do not care. I think what saves me is that I do want to move on! I'm not exactly sick of Fury, but I do not want to marry it, either. 

Here's where we are tonight. A little more detailing after adding rivets, panel fasteners around, rigging the landing gear and then permanently affixing the upper wing. This allowed that special moment, six months in the making,  to pick it up and "fly it" with accompanied sound of roaring Rolls Royce V-12 engine. :) .  I will not grow up in this respect. They can't make me! Tomorrow  (day off from work and rain in the forecast ) should see combination more decals , struts and rigging. I do see light at the end of the tunnel now! 

wrozfB.jpg

Jim,

The level of detail, is just amazing. Everything is finally coming together and points to an outstanding display piece. .The landing gear really looks good, especially after you've finished the rigging.  :yahoo: 

Joel

This allowed that special moment, six months in the making,  to pick it up and "fly it" with accompanied sound of roaring Rolls Royce V-12 engine. :) .  I will not grow up in this respect. They can't make me! 

Oh, I guess, we can all relate to that, can't we?  :innocent:

Great work, Jim. Really love the result!

Cheers

Rainer

Joel, Thanks much! 

Citidelgrad, Thanks. My grandfather is a Citadel grad. I have his sword from 1934. 

Rainer, Thank you. I do think my subject is really helping me look good. I mean it's a yellow biplane..it just oozes aviation. I'm trying to pay it homage.

Unrelated to the Fury, but damn interesting to a few followers here that are building B-17s. Here is a B-17 from a warbird tour that stopped by Bar Harbor, Maine this past week while I was passing through. It was rainy here and I got this shot from the car. Kinda cool. I also saw it flew overhead at about 1000 ft  while having my morning coffee at the campsite which was an unexpected thrill considering I was already enjoying myself just looking out at the water.  What a beauty! 

EbJ2yH.jpg

Back at the bench now and the decals are quickly and successfully finding their way to the plane. Still shiny here in raw form. Dullcoat to follow after they dry.

R9tU5H.jpg

It has been such good weather this summer there has hardly been that rainy down day to build and keep the addiction going. Painful, because I'm so close I can taste it. At this point,  I'm reminded by my own past (and others wise words  here) that the temptation to rush to the finish line should be avoided at all cost. The other day I was working on applying my  decals for the tail callsign. I knew the back of my mind that  the font was wrong, the size was wrong, but there I was putting them on and while I winced a bit, there I was I trying to make some plausible explanation for this error. When I came up with an excuse that my reference was possibly wrong, I knew I had probably lost my marbles. Once I deemed them unsuitable I can't believe the illusion I was under! Ha. So I took it as a lesson to slow the heck down.  So back to the font search game and decal making  which meant about 4-5 hours of work including a trip to the hobby story for more decal paper. On the good side, this trip did give me a chance encounter with some hobby wire that will be much more ideal for the project. I had been straightening some stainless steel wire which was "OK" but not as good this  thin "music" wire that is already straight. Here's some start to the wing rigging. 1/24 is a kind scale for this work, though I actually do not think I've ever built rigged a biplane before so I can't say for sure. My 1/72 building buddy seems to suffer a lot and has left a few models incomplete for the fear of rigging. I tease him that he can't build another model (under my roof)  until he rigs his  Etrich Taube. 

hUASLm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...