AIMS Ju 388 J

Pastor John

Found first problem and thankfully found it now at this stage of the canopy - only lost about 1 hours work re-doing the windscreen. There was a good reason why the master looked like a Westland Wessex or something - the plans I have been following from the Monograph Ju 188 / 388 vol 2 are wrong - the rake of the windscreen is not shallow enough. I could not see this with the naked eye looking at it and photos in 2D but once it is in 3D and you hold it at the same angle as a photo there is a massive difference with the real aircraft being much sleeker, so chopped it up and re-shaped = phew!

20151004_014902_zpsdap7j6f8.jpg20151004_021201_zps65kkdcbm.jpg

There is not much to do really as all the hard work was done with the 388 L, all I need to do is finish the canopy and update the master of the gunpack which has suffered over the years since first designed for the Ju 88 G-6, and do the revised lower periscope and that's it! Decals will take me an hour - additional PE was done last night. I have only sold 36 388 L's so I am sure these will not fly out of the door either. But when it is all finished if people can send the £20.00 (as friends and family) as before then I will know how many sets to order from the factory. Basically I will be using the original set minus clear parts decals and Bodenweine so every time I sell a J a Bodenweine will be available for sale for those doing a Ju 88 A-2 or something.

Right I need feedback on something - I bought an MDC Arado 234 (beautiful) not so long back - their instructions are all on a CD. Now I personally don't think you can beat paper instructions and I wanted the instructions for the L to be like a little book but those instructions cost me Â£10.00 each - such are the printing costs of today! I have not found a printers where I live in Hungary yet but even if the price is a little lower it is still a lot of money and that cost has to be passed on to the customer. I have been wondering If I should also provide just a CD with pdf files on it? I might get more customers because price is say £8,00 lower but then I might loose customers because they want paper? I could always give the choice I suppose? What do you think? 

Made me smile when reading my Ju 388 assembly manual: Bodenweine! Well, I guess what you try to say was "Bodenwanne"! Bodenweine is no German word and doesn´t make any sense. So, feel free to use "Bodenwanne" for the lower fuselage gondola instead.  ;)

John,

Looks like another one on my bucket list.... :coolio:

If having instructions on a CD saves me a few bucks, then so be it....Just makes it so I can buy more conversions... :thumbsup:

Cheers,   Ian

Hi Guys (& girls???????) Just been working on some profiles hope you like. The V-2 is straight forward as there are photos, where as the two J's in the Leipzig hanger and the two outside it show no tails to see W.Nrs. I thought that one of them maybe the V-14 which was finished in a night fighter scheme but then I read that this had Jumo 213 E engines and was grounded at Merseburg not Leipzig so ignore the V-14 captions below

A4-profiles_zpsxeacdbts.gif

Edited by Pastor John

Oooh!!! I like the V14 options! Very different!!!

I would go for either the CD or downloadable pdf option. It allows for much better photo reproduction, especially since if you put it on pad, you can blow up photos. Also, I have my own color laser printer so can get a good print of whatever you have if I want a hardcopy.

So are ready to take pre-orders now for 20GBP for the J?

Hi interested persons, got the decals done, I have never had to give so much decal space to uncompleted/ unverified aircraft in the ten years I have been doing this and I don't like it! Basically here is the situation, on 8th Feb 1945 all work on the 388 at ATG's Leipzig plant came to an end and machines were shunted together and before end of hostilities many had been deliberately set on fire. Twenty Six 388 Ls were on hand on 8th Feb along with six 388 Js - making a total of nine 388 J's produced - V-1 500001 PE+IA, V-2 500002 PE+IB, V-14 230931 (completed with Jumo 213 Es so out of scope of my conversion and photographed anyway) plus six production aircraft at Leipzig in various states of completion. Due to difficulties with fitting the Oblique armament in the 388 behind frame 15 just forward of the EZ-6 DF only one armament conversion set was on hand at this time and this one set was installed in the fire damaged air-frame with unique reversal cammo in the hanger by L-1 340410. So twenty six L-1s and six J-1s - sixteen of which which we know the W.Nrs of and of these six can be identified as L-1s leaving the possibility that the remaining ten W.Nrs documented by ATG may apply to at least some of the six J-1 air-frames, we will never know I guess as of the four airframes photographed three have no tails installed and the one with oblique weapons and amazing cammo has its tails paint burnt off - bugger! I have decided to thus provide the ten W.Nrs documented so that the you can complete a J in night fighter cammo with at least a degree of credibility. Sorry for the history lesson but with all due respect to those who are - I am not a 'what-if' modeller so try to give as much info as possible. The decal sheet is A4 format as that is what Fantasy Printshop use so the remaining space has been used to advantage for other sales.

Decals_zpszrkqv8db.gif

Edited by Pastor John

Ok here is the situation it is no ones fault - its just life - I have not recovered my start up costs for the  Ju 388 L-1 and I can not afford to make this mistake again. Thankfully the start-up costs of sublimating 388 L's sets with J-1 parts is much cheaper and therefore all i need is to know is if I can pay for the decals and first batch of PE additional frets etc. So I need 15 people to pay £20.00 into my paypal (as friends and family is much appreciated). The cost of the additional parts will be offset by being able to sell on the unneeded extended bomb bay so this plus instructions on CD rom and the fact that I do not need all of the A4 printing sheet and can use the rest for other sales make the 388 J-1 kit £145.00. All I have left to do is the canopy framing and the lower re-designed periscope, I will at the same time start on a mock up of the aircraft to help advertise. I have to stress that these 15 pre-orders are essential. If I do not have them by say the 1st November I will shelf the work. I do not mind the 388 L-1 being a non profit making product but I do have to make sure start up costs are at least covered so I need to be a little wiser with the J-1. Hope you all understand the dilemma. 

Best wishes

John

(BTW I should really change my handle as Baptist pastors do not retain their ordination title upon resigning / retiring from their post but it was my life for a long time and 'Ju John' just sounds stupid!)

Gent's. I marvel at this endeavor and admire the group for its dedication to encouraging John. This is really why I love this site.

FYI, I just ran across a colored picture of the Ju-388 appearently taken in color in 1947 in the USA. I thought you should check out. Hyper scale and look up the pictures from 1947. In the main topic forum. A Great picture for you gents I'm sure to have. Awesome bird here John. Keep them coming.

Regards,

Troy.

• 3 weeks later...