CzechModel F-80C Shooting Star

SciFi58

Despite my track records of group builds joined versus one finished, I would like to join with the CzechModel F-80C.  The model is un-started and I had just ordered an AMS replacement seat and control stick.  I wanted the whole cockpit but it was sold out so I will detail.

I started last night but my camera is dead so it's a'chargin'.  All I did anyway was paint the instrument panel black (only to find I had not cleaned it and there is dust all under the paint), and the pedals aluminum metalizer.  I also did some reference online to soup up the cockpit and see if there are any documented errors. 

I also wanted to state that this build will also be in tribute to my Uncle Boyd Boggess who fought in Korea.  He didn't fly, he was army but I was looking for a way to honor him and this group build availed!

Down to the man cave to work on it and I should have some images up shortly.

Here is day 1 and 2 of progress.  I painted the panel black Saturday night and assembled the PE panel, and wow it is nice, last night, along wth the exhaust can:

F80Day1.jpg

I forgot this was a limited run kit.  I am a good modeler, even professionsal as defined as I have been paid to do it, but I MISS LOCATOR PINS!

Welcome to the group build, looking forward to more progress soon.  :)  Just so you know, Harold at AMS won the " miss locator pins" pageant 3 years in a row from 1988-91 :rofl:

Here he is now with his protege trying to get more ribbons for the display cabinet

Paul

Ya found the video.....dang!

Good luck--there are some fit issues with this kit, I understand, but it looks like it builds into a nice F-80.

I have the cockpit replacement, as well as the landing gear/airbrake bay replacement bits I got from somewhere or other for mine.  Haven't had the oomph to tackle it yet!

Tim W.

The seat and stick came yesterday.  They are cut, cleaned and primed.  Should have painted pictures soon.  Did the nosewheel well and got some Mister Surfacer on the can seams.  For the back (front?) I just cut a styrene disk and cemented it in there.  My references so a radically different cockpit so they must not be of the C.  I'll keep the cockpit as is just add some better switches and such.  Picrures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay my ability to take pictures today is a parody of an Ethel Merman song - Everything's comin' up blurry!

Day 2 not so bad.

Seat and pit with basic paint:

F80Day2a.jpg

Cockpit coming together:

F80Day2b.jpg

And day 3 is the bad pic.  The AMS (Thank's Harold) seat painted and with an thin burnt umber wash waiting for weathering.  But you hardly tell:

F80Day3a.jpg

I also got work done on the fuselage, stablizers, front wheel well, and lower wing with wells.  None of those pictures are worth posting nor is the one of the panel with rudder pedals.  One thing I messed up was in waiting for the cockpit, I cemented the intake housings on the fuselage sides.  Only then did I realize (study the instructions, idiot) the inner intake that mounts to the wing slides into the outer housing.  Now it will be impossible to glue the fuselage halves together and put the lower wing on.  I did get one intake into the housing and could do the other, then cement the fuselage halves - but not with the nosewheel well and cockpit in place.  So I tore off one of the housings and will need to work to fair it in again.  We learn from our mistakes.  "Well you ought to be pretty knowledgeable by now, sir." Alfred to Batman: The Dark Knight.