Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

OK, looks like I get to go first! An original issue Matchbox Sea Venom. It's an odd choice for me, since I have no real interest in, or knowledge of, the subject, no references and probably no hope. I normally don't even build jets. But there's a bit of a story attached to how I acquired this one.

Earlier this year I was cruising the stalls at the IPMS Expo swap & sell with LSP_Matt and found an original issue Matchbox Spitfire 22/24, and promptly snapped it up. I move along a few stalls and find a vendor with a Tamiya 1/48 George going for a song. As I'm paying for it, he spies the Spit and enquires, "You build thirty-second stuff, huh?". I mumbled something in the affirmative. He promptly reaches for the Sea Venom kit, shoves it on top of my pile, and says in disgust, "Well, you can have that!".

When I got it home I realised why he gave it away. The box is falling apart, the decals are a write-off, the instructions have been munched on, the kit itself has been started (badly) and I'm not even sure all the parts are there. Matty generously donated a spare set of Revell-issue decals to get me going, which may have to do, as I'm not immediately aware of any aftermarket sets for this kit. I plan on doing the RAN bird in the kit options, if it all pans out.

Anyway, on with the photos! The box:

post-3071-1220266854.jpg

Its contents:

post-3071-1220266873.jpg

The instructions:

post-3071-1220266903.jpg

The original decals:

post-3071-1220266893.jpg

And Matty's replacements:

post-3071-1220266883.jpg

I'm strangely excited about tackling this one, but I haven't really decided how to approach it yet. Throw it together as is? Pull out all the references and go to town? I'll probably head somewhere down the middle. All and any advice welcome!

Kev

HI Looks like you have your work cut out for you no mater how you build it. I am sure you will get it worked out and end up with a great model. Just remember that the build is six months so you can take some time and have fun with it. Keep us up to date.

Texas :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apparently all the Matchbox decals ended up sticking to the glassine "protective" sheets of paper.

Has anyone ever experimentrd with cutting the individual decals out and soaking them in water to see if 1) the glassine will float away and 2) the decals are still good after 30+ years?

Those Matchbox kits are still good in that they model rare airplanes. Do you know of any other company that offered the Tiger Moth with wheels, skies and floats in 1/32 scale? Or offered the Lysander at all?

The recent re-release of the Tiger moth omits the floats, by the way.

Hey Kev,

looks like there is "something" between you and those old tricky builds, right?

After the "good old" (or is it just old?) Me 109, now the Sea Venom!

good luck to you too mate!

Cheers,

loic

Ahh, nice... Another Sea Venom.

Good luck with it, Kevin!

It's a basic, but nice kit.

There's not much refererence on the Sea Venom around,

but the internet yields some useful walk arounds.

Do also a search on its French licence built sibling, the "Aquilon".

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks guys! I think this kit has been either stored in a moist environment, or subjected to some water damage. I've already tossed the original decal sheet, but it was badly curled and I think there were some stains on it too. There's even some 'dirt' on some of the parts - like storm water residue or something.

Looking forward to making a start!

Kev

This is going to be REALLY cool, Kevin! Especially like those RAN markings, and it's just so.....different looking...I found myself becoming 'strangely excited' too. Oooh my. :rolleyes: Had to check out your 'buck-shot' plans to see what that prehensile toe(?) thing is above the exhaust. Hmmm, the arrester hook stows there, eh? What a unique and cool design, kinda grows on ya really. Glad to see you're going to give it some well deserved TLC, after it 'followed ya home'.

Is that some kind of aftermarket seat/or something under the plans in the 2nd pic down from the top? Russ

Is that some kind of aftermarket seat/or something under the plans in the 2nd pic down from the top? Russ

Nah Russ, that's just a photo of what I take to be the ejection seat used by this plane (dunno anything about it meself). I just found it in the box.

:rolleyes:

Kev

I got my replacement decalsheet for my Matchbox kit this week from RoG.

One thing I noted that the sharkmouth on the Matchboxsheet is red and on the Revell sheet it's black.

Can anyone which is correct ? Or are they both correct ?

dec.jpg