Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys!

I do have a painting question probably more for you Geoff. I'm about to build the radiator/oil cooler dog house area and I'm curious if I'm not successful at keeping this a natural metal finished Mustang as Moon Mullins' bird would the internal area of the doghouse be a natural metal finish still if I changed my paint scheme to Passion Wagon later on? I really hope to advance my skills and experience with Alclad lacquers and do Moon Mullins' P-51D. I also ask because I just want to eventually do both P-51s in both schemes and I'm a little confused as to where the paint on Passion Wagon should begin and end. I haven't gone digging through my detailed pictures from the real birds I've seen at the airshows I go to annually yet but I'm not certain I took pictures up inside this area anyway. I'm just not sure if part of this area might be Zinc Chromate on the inside of a Green-Gray camouflaged bird. I'm open to everyone's advice here please tell me what you know on this.

Thanks,

Brady

Yes Kevin I do have fairly large hands. I have a question for you about making your own resin parts after reading all about your Fw 190A-5S. I'm curious if you're still at it and if you do any for anyone else for the practice? What I'm interested in doing actually already is done in 1/48 by Hasegawa but I think it would be awesome to do with the 1/32 Tamiya P-51D. I'm interested in doing the experimental P-51 with ram jet pods on the wing tips in 1/32. What do ya think? I have the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit for dimension reference if you're interested in my idea. Keep up your awesome builds too!

Cheers,

Brady

Yes Kevin I do have fairly large hands. I have a question for you about making your own resin parts after reading all about your Fw 190A-5S. I'm curious if you're still at it and if you do any for anyone else for the practice? What I'm interested in doing actually already is done in 1/48 by Hasegawa but I think it would be awesome to do with the 1/32 Tamiya P-51D. I'm interested in doing the experimental P-51 with ram jet pods on the wing tips in 1/32. What do ya think? I have the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit for dimension reference if you're interested in my idea. Keep up your awesome builds too!

Cheers,

Brady

I'm afraid I'm yet to produce a single usable cast out of any of my experiments mate! Damian came to the rescue with some 190 undercarriage legs for that build (which I must get back to some day!), and I haven't had the need (or the time) to give it another go. There are plenty of folks on LSP who could help you out though, so it's just a matter of one of them reading your post and responding. Sounds like an interesting project!

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've gotten a little more done on my mustang. I've gotten most of the radiator doghouse completed. Here's my photos:

IMG_20140724_113714_304_zps4e519396.jpg

IMG_20140724_113622_336_zpsf77d5207.jpg

IMG_20140724_113615_995_zps0df50ac8.jpg

IMG_20140724_113554_129_zps72f491a0.jpg

IMG_20140724_113209_477_zps528aef0a.jpg

Tell me what you think, I'm almost thinking I used an Alclad finish with too much sheen too it. Polished Aluminum is what I used, mainly because that's what I had other than chrome, which I knew was too shiney. I'm not sure which of their shades I should go with for the overall metallic finish. I'm open to suggestions from those of you who have used more of their finishes.

Thanks,

Brady

I forgot to mention that the radiator screens have a Glory wash on them in the photo that hasn't been cleaned up yet, so it will look better than that when it's dry and wiped off. It just wasn't dry yet when I took the pictures.

Brady

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys!

I do have a painting question probably more for you Geoff. I'm about to build the radiator/oil cooler dog house area and I'm curious if I'm not successful at keeping this a natural metal finished Mustang as Moon Mullins' bird would the internal area of the doghouse be a natural metal finish still if I changed my paint scheme to Passion Wagon later on? I really hope to advance my skills and experience with Alclad lacquers and do Moon Mullins' P-51D. I also ask because I just want to eventually do both P-51s in both schemes and I'm a little confused as to where the paint on Passion Wagon should begin and end. I haven't gone digging through my detailed pictures from the real birds I've seen at the airshows I go to annually yet but I'm not certain I took pictures up inside this area anyway. I'm just not sure if part of this area might be Zinc Chromate on the inside of a Green-Gray camouflaged bird. I'm open to everyone's advice here please tell me what you know on this.

Thanks,

Brady

Brady,

My apologies for not responding sooner.

Color in the area of the dog house is at best a bit curious. Early Mustangs had corrosion problems. Because of this, things that were left NM on the early birds (D5/10) began coming from the factory with chromate finishes. What was in the dog house area(including the inside of the ventral scoop) is anyones guess. Even if the airframe in question came from the factory with NM finishes, once crew chiefs got hold of them theres no telling what happened.

I use this rule of thumb: If the surface in question is exposed to the elements or corrosive environment I would use YZC. If the surface in question isnt exposed to the elements or corrosive environment, I would use GZC. For whatever reason, the yellow could better withstand the elements more so than the green. Ive also heard tell of interior green as well as bronze green being used as primer. I have no clear cut answer.

Youre doing good work here...keeper goin...

Best

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Hi Geoff no problem, thanks for the info for future use. I'm going on my annual trip to OshKosh, Wisconsin for the EAA Airventure airshow next weekend and to Thunder over Michigan the weekend after that, so I'll be taking LOTS of pictures while I'm there at those two events. Maybe I'll get enough details to satisfy my own curiousity....LOL. Now I do realize that I'll be taking pictures of someone's restoration work and not an original, but I've had the honors of getting to do that kind of work on T-6s before so I do understand what you go through to do an airworthy restoration.

I'm really excited to go to the show in Ypsilanti, Michigan because the only F-6D Mustang "Lil Margaret" is going to be there and I've always wanted to see her up close with my own eyes. I'm guessing she may be at OshKosh too, because of the geographic closeness, but the list of planes attending that show is always too long to post online, so I've just got high hopes to see her twice in two weeks. 

Cheers,

Brady

P.S. my post on the radiator screens was supposed to say it was covered with a Flory Wash not a Glory wash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I don't have a lot to show with this post because I went to Oshkosh,WI for EAA Airventure airshow this past weekend. I did get a little bench time the last two days and did a little detail work to the cockpit for a more realistic view. I added wiring behind the seat for the battery using solder and gave them all a coat of paint for a realistic look.IMG_20140806_121938_628_zps85ab0420.jpg

There's only one place it didn't turn out like I'd had liked it to but I think it may be kinda hidden by the solder anyway. The terminal closest to the seat pretty much got drilled completely away when drilling the hole for the solder.

That's all for now,

Brady

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I just realized how long it's been since I gave you an update on my build. I've gotten some bench time in here and there since my last posting and made some progress. I've been tinkering with the idea of possibly using the pilot figure included in the kit and I've painted him up and glued him all together except for his arms, which are only painted. Here's a few shots I got with the cell phone, so I'm sorry if they're a little lower quality.

IMG_20140830_174439_942_zpsaa5c0505.jpg

IMG_20140830_174947_298_zpsdcf50805.jpg

I've painted and dry fitted the carb duct intake and glued the fuselage halves together.

IMG_20140904_121009_863_zps2edde30c.jpg

IMG_20140904_121050_301_zps0b57ff4a.jpg

IMG_20140904_120349_911_zpsef8225f3.jpg

IMG_20140904_120324_794_zpsef8ecbc6.jpg

IMG_20140904_120301_315_zpsa802f44b.jpg

IMG_20140904_120234_211_zpsc46da32a.jpg

I still have some seam lines to fill before painting the exterior color and I'll probably have to re-do some rivets after filling seams. The turtle deck on the plane hasn't been glued in place yet, it just was dry fitted and has been used for alignment of the fuselage halves, so don't freak because you can see in the shots from the rear that not quite all the guide rail for the rear of the canopy aligns perfectly yet all the way back. This part also needs cleaned up from overspray from when it was still mounted on the sprue and I painted other parts the Zinc Chromate Yellow.

I don't currently have a riveting tool, I'm looking for suggestions please on who makes a good one for rivets for 1/32 and 1/48 scale WWII fighters primarily. A good riveting tool would be much faster and efficient than doing one rivet at a time with a scribe tip as I've done a time or two before.

That's all for now.

Happy modeling,

Brady

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been able to post anything for my build but I've made some progress on my Mustang. I just wanted you all to know i didn't give up or fall off the face of the earth. I've been watching and enjoying lots of your builds in the mean time. Here's a few shots of my progress:

IMG_20150113_095925_879_zpsf100c5e1.jpg

IMG_20150113_100040_881_zps2fecb97c.jpg

IMG_20150113_100101_986_zpsb6ae159a.jpg

IMG_20150113_100351_220_zps90b02fe5.jpg

IMG_20150113_100453_266_zps145c8b24.jpg

This is about as far as I've gotten for now other than gluing most of the control surfaces together that just aren't shown in my photos.

Happy Modeling to you all!

Brady

Looks great so far!   The stang looks really cool, and looks like its progressing nicely.

My bother and I went to the 50th anniversary of the Reno National Championship air-races in 2013, and we plan on hitting Air-Venture again this year. Was the EAA event good last year? I have been many times, but not in years, so Im really hoping its as good as I remember it being.