Help me figure out what this WWI plane is....

1to1scale

This plane was flown by my company's founder, Doc Booth. I wanted to build his plane as I believe as a bomber. I have looked at a few aircraft, but I can't figure out what this is, the radiator is very distinct, maybe that will help. Thank you!

aCIaJ6v.jpg

I betcha that houses a Liberty 400 hp aircraft engine.

I saw one of those engines in an automobile some 60 odd years ago. Er, it was  not so much in the car but the car had been built around it. That racer had one looooong hood. :punk:

Too cool, man. Too cool.

Hmmm...Co-worker is a Booth and he talks about a relative back then that was a pilot. I sent him a screen shot and asked if he was related. Any relationship to the infamous John-Wilkes Booth?  Co-worker is related.

Funny story, we were at an AV convention and one of the Vendors themes was Abe Lincoln because their company name had Lincoln in it.  They had an actor there in the booth (there's that name again!) that was a dead nuts ringer to Abe Lincoln.

We walked up and I said to the actor, " Mr. Lincoln, meet Mr. Booth."  And without batting an eye the actor responded with "Now let's not dig up old feelings of the past. I say we let by-gone's be by-gone's."  And he was really taken back when he found out co-worker was a direct decedent.

I think the DH 4  Liberty Plane for sure 

Now there is a plane I would love WNW to tackle. Would look great next to their DH 9 kits as that is their lineage. (You knew someone was gonna say it in this thread so I went ahead and got it out of the way early.... :innocent: )

Zach

Yes, DH 4 here as well.  And a DH 4 kit would be good.

In the USA the DH-4 lived on as a U.S. bomber and as an Air Mail plane and as many other variations. We had a bunch of them and they were a proven design and the government was not going to spend any money on new designs so lets use what we have. 

I'd like to see an aftermarket kit to convert the WNW DH-9 into a DH-4.  There were so many variations of the -4 in civilian life through the 1920's one could build  nothing but them for at least a year. The early airline versions were very interesting. 

I salute the brave, intrepid early Air Mail pilots who flew in all sorts of bad weather and gave their lives facing all the challenges of being pioneers. 

:piliot: