F4D-1 Skyray VF-13 1962: Update 9/19 Forward fuselage

EmperorKai

Keep jumping those hurdles Kai   :thumbsup:

sport-athlete-athletics-hurdles-hurdler-

Looks like you are doing great with them. I will be watching this one!  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Teresa  :D

PS: Love the holder (TP)  :rofl:  What ever works right and multipurpose. Kidding

Looking great so far! 

lol!  I didnt' notice the special model holder- just grabbed it and started taking pics!  :)

Kai

Great progress ! Keep it coming !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert!  Hoping this one comes together a little faster than the 4 months the last one took

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

A small update.  Have been focusing on the landing gear as bench time has been tough to come by and it can be done in small steps.

IMG_0486_600_zpsigog1kbl.jpg

The main gear bays are of course now mounted, but here is a close up of one of the bays with a partially assembled main gear fitted.

IMG_0626_600_zpsooiprisn.jpg

The parts layout for the wheels

IMG_0650_600_zpswca6l6zb.jpg

Once assembled, plasti-clay was used to seal up some of the gaps around the rims

IMG_0645_600_zpstogrgwkk.jpg

The treads seemed a little extreme compared to reference pics, so they were partially filled in.

IMG_0678_600_zpstuxfxy5d.jpg

The completed wheels

IMG_0654_600_zpsbqvizail.jpg

Brake and hydraulic lines were added to the main gear with lead wire and lead straps for the P-clamps.

IMG_0682_600_zpspcxoj9xv.jpg

The gear were primered with Gunze C92 semi-gloss black.

IMG_0690_600_zpsxd9ws5d6.jpg

They were then given a coat of Gunze C69 Off-white.  Mig Dark Wash was used and then they were given a light touch up coat of Gunze C156 Super White.

IMG_0708_600_zpszde4hz00.jpg

The completed gear.  The pistons were painted with Gunze Chrome Silver metal coat and buffed to a shine.

f4dgear_64_zps4e2mxkd9.jpg

Here's a great reference pic for comparison.  Note that the gear in this pic has compressed as the hydraulics have been drained.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

• 3 weeks later...

While pouring over reference pics, I found a few that looked really interesting to me and inspired me to depict a few variations.  One is the refuel probe on the tank.

F4D_VF-13_landing_USS_Shangri-La_1961_60

One of the characteristics of the Skyray was the ability to carry tanks with the refuel probe.  This pic is of a bird from the USS Shangri-La in 1961.

The kit comes with markings for 4 different aircraft, and I had initially intended to do VFAW-3 with the blue tail and stars.  But there's alot of builds out there with those markings, and I wanted to step out a bit and do a different scheme.

139031_600_zpsdhbdtczf.jpg

So I've decided to do my own markings and depict an F4D from VF-13 Nightcappers.  The aileron stripes are red and white with black stars.  

CED72089%20clean%20mod_zpsmgi4qa9i.jpg

I really like the markings from the 1962 cruise, which were slightly different than their previous tours.  I've modified a profile here to visualize what it would look like.

While working on custom markings, I've also managed to get some bench time in as well

IMG_0800_600_zpst5roawbo.jpg

The landing gear doors are pretty much done.

IMG_0807_600_zpsmrtwqvxb.jpg

Tamiya clears were used for the lenses on the nose gear door.

IMG_0812_600_zpsorhorwwz.jpg

I want to show a little more depth on the white underside- here, some of the effect on the nose gear door. 

IMG_0794_600_zpskdn5e3uo.jpg

For the refuel probe, I used the Quickboost F-100D Type A set.  Through reference pics, I concluded the boom itself should be just shy of 1-3/8".  Note that the resin boom might be a tiny bit curved.    

IMG_0795_600_zpshqs1q5e2.jpg

When it comes to things like antenna, pitot tubes and refuel probes, I prefer something that can take a little abuse, so I replaced the boom with brass tube.  Here, the completed probe.  The tanks are now ready for paint. 

Thanks for looking!

Kai