Mirage IIIS Swiss Air Force

MatterOne

Hi Robert,

Good work on the IP - it looks unmistakably Swiss. Your reference photo's are excellent, and will surely be useful to many in modifying what (as you noticed) is essentially a Mirage IIIE cockpit into a "S".

Watching with interest,

Sean

Edited by Madmax

This is exactly what I hoped for, when I started  this thread, that it starts to live and becomes active. Thank you JPP. Of course, the main driver should be to build this plane as advertised.

I'm aware, that JPP has a profound knowledge and will correct me if I'm misleading you.

The picture Jean-Pierre provided reflects a Mirage IIIS IP from the mid 80's until phase out. Interestingly, it's the airframe of the first prototype J-2301. This aircraft retired October 28th, 1999 and resides now in the aircraft museum in Payerne.

JPP also points out an unique modification on the nose gear for the Mirage IIIS /RS required for the aircraft to enter the mountain caverns. In normal level, the fin is too high to pass under the bomb blast deflectors built into the entrance of the cavern. The ‘Surgonflage' haut function that extends the nose gear shock absorber, allowed the nose to raise and therefor to lower the tail. I enclose a picture of a Mirage IIIRS just passing the outer door. This gives you an idea of the dimensions.

M21822.jpg

best, Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Allmost 3 weeks without an update from my side = 0 points: sorry

Now – I have not been lazy – but modelling time was limited. However – we had an IPMS Switzerland Meeting in Thun the past weekend and this was simply a great show. For this show I wanted something new and designed a decal sheet along these lines:

J-2329.jpg

Of course – this is not for everybody's taste – but it is fun. J-2329 with Pegasus in November 1997 at the end of her airframe flying hours.

To feel well, one has to touch some plastic – even when achieving little. My current focus is on the rear of the cockpit – the area behind the ejection seat. Italeri provides I nice detailed part – put since I plan to built a very early Mirage IIIS, there are too many details that had to be removed and some wiring to be replaced. However – the more I compare the plastic with pictures the more I get disturbed. The kit part makes an over engineered impression – sort of like a house with one floor to many. Still – I do not want to make a new part – but for my next Mirage I probably will – depending how this will work out once the cockpit is complete.

cockpit_bulkhead.jpg

I realise that I make very little progress here – but that is fine with me. Last night – I found a nice box in front of my front door – the Kitty Hawk F-5E has arrived. Do not worry – I will not start another one – but I ordered this kit to get the vertical Stabiliser. I need this part because I intend to scale up my Peace Alps Part Two decal sheet to 1/32 scale – and the decals must fit! Saying this – I will work now on two projects, but the Mirage will continue!

Best for now

Robert

Lovely work Robert, this will be a great thread to watch!

I plan to build both a later Mirage IIIS and IIIRS with the excellent Matterhorn decals. A lot of work and modification for sure but your efforts should result in a rare and beautiful model. I dread building the specific IIIS nose, have you any thoughts to how you will do this? My plan is to use the drawings on the 1/32 Matterhorn sheets as my main guide.

Best Regards,

David 

Hi David

Thank you for the flowers. Obviously, I cannot comment on the ‘excellency' of the Matterhorn Circle Decals, but they are for sure quality. First – somebody has to build the model and apply the decals – that will set the mark! So far, I'm selling dreams…

That's one of the reason for this build – to line up the modifications required and hopefully some practical solutions for them. The lack of the required parts is certainly one of the reasons why we do not see any build up Swiss Mirages. This must be changed…

You are right, Italeri provides only parts for the Mirage IIIRS in an early configuration. The Mirage IIIS requires a nose extension of about 12mm in 1/32 scale. The modern way to get the longer nose cone is certainly a CAD drawing and access to a 3D Printer. On the other hand, I'm thinking about a 12mm extension plug-in between the fuselage and the original Italeri nose cone. This idea includes filling the nose with epoxy and when cured sanding the assembly to new sleeker shape. Of course – this sounds very basic, but eventually I will get there once the cockpit is finished and the fuselage closed.

Best regards,

Robert

Hi David

Thank you for the flowers. Obviously, I cannot comment on the ‘excellency' of the Matterhorn Circle Decals, but they are for sure quality. First – somebody has to build the model and apply the decals – that will set the mark! So far, I'm selling dreams…

That's one of the reason for this build – to line up the modifications required and hopefully some practical solutions for them. The lack of the required parts is certainly one of the reasons why we do not see any build up Swiss Mirages. This must be changed…

You are right, Italeri provides only parts for the Mirage IIIRS in an early configuration. The Mirage IIIS requires a nose extension of about 12mm in 1/32 scale. The modern way to get the longer nose cone is certainly a CAD drawing and access to a 3D Printer. On the other hand, I'm thinking about a 12mm extension plug-in between the fuselage and the original Italeri nose cone. This idea includes filling the nose with epoxy and when cured sanding the assembly to new sleeker shape. Of course – this sounds very basic, but eventually I will get there once the cockpit is finished and the fuselage closed.

Best regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Having used some of the Matterhorn decals before, they are very good imho!

I like your idea for the new nose. I was thinking something similar as I have no access to a 3D printer. I have looked at possible spare part pieces that could be used/adapted and sanded to shape, I have not checked against drawings but possibly RAF Tornado Hindenburger tanks additionally fitted to the Italeri nose may be of use, I do not know yet either fully as my build is sometime off construction. 

Because I plan a late IIIRS and IIIS, items such as canards, nose gear modifications, flare dispenses among many others requiring duplication, I am thinking of making masters in plastic and then casting in resin. I am not sure at this stage but personal thoughts at least for the future. 

Anyways, keep up the fantastic work, I am enjoying this thread a lot  :popcorn:

Cheers,

David 

• 3 weeks later...

I got a bid sidetracked by Davids question how I plan to do the radome. For a while I have put the cockpit aside and present you today one sugestion, how a new rose for the Mirage IIIS could be created. As previously stated, I followed the modern route of CAD design and 3D printing. With some help the drawing for the new nose was actually completed in very little time - compared to the printout.

I must admit that I do not possess a CAD programme - therefore the file was created online with some freeware. This has the advantage, that the new Mirage 3s radome hangs somewhere in 'the cloud' and everybody who is interested, can access the file for free.

onshape.jpg

The next step was the printing. Lucky as I am, I have a friend who owns a desktop 3D printer.

prusa.jpg

Of course, I'm aware the these surfaces will require substantial sanding and a nice coat of surfacer, but I have a shape, that looks the part. 

Mirage_3S_Radome.jpg

Now.... more work lies ahead. Somehow I have to prove, that the new nose fits the model and second, that it looks correct compared to the references. 

best, Robert