Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a

Sparzanza

I absolutely loathe these ejector pin marks, flash things, or whatever they are.. sticking out at random places inside the cockpit.. they're thick and harder than concrete. My hobbyknife is too big and clumsy to remove them! I will have to switch a lot between the knife and some sandpaper to remove these. :(

The what I assume to be engine bearers had a terrible fit at the horse shoe item. The horse shoe actually broke when trying to glue the bearers in place... how about that.  On top of that, I'm not even sure the horse shoe is facing the right way, as the instructions said nothing of it. It is angled differently at each side. Lovely!

Other than that things are still moving forward, I guess...

DSC00162_zpsf1541b83.jpg

hi again Sparzanza!

I found the same porblem with the lower support "horseshoe" item as well, and I came to the conclusion that it is shown mounted both backwards and in the wrong place in relation to the engine bearers in the instructions. It fits much better "backwards", and some dry-fitting will show where it wants to sit on the frames so that it actually all fits in place. I ended up gluing it where it wanted to go....

here's a shot of where mine ended up, if it helps at all:

IMG_3864_zps5c360f5c.jpg

Looking good!

greg v.

Thanks for the picture, gregv. :)

Unfortunately the bearer had been glued in place with the Tamiya cement at the time the picture was taken.. so I'll have to go with that for now. :( It looked alright when dryfitted, so ... gneh.

@shep - you didn't miss much! I've basically only just started with this. :) Glad you dropped by! I may build models quickly but they're nowhere near as good as yours. Quality over quantity, eh? ;D

It shure looks good Sparz,

You take care o sinkholes, ejection pin marks, the engine looks good,

cockpit is turning ot nice.....

Great progress,

Also, great paintjobb in the pic too :D

/Mal

Well, the less sinkholes in this world, the more Titanic's that flourish. ;)

That made no sense. Oh well.

Time for an update! Very close to some "cockpit green" now!

I have removed the annoying things now and glued some more cockpit levers and whatnot in place. I'm also nearly done with painting the engine! Just the exhausts left, really. Hopefully there'll be pics to show of that tomorrow.

DSC00163_zps858a9c0d.jpg

DSC00164_zps594797be.jpg

DSC00165_zps008e8fcc.jpg

Well! The instrumentpanel is more or less done. It needs a few touchups here and there due to me being sloppy, but so far I'm pleased.

The stick didn't come with the iconic trigger molded into it as a detail.. so I tried to paint it there and did a crap job. Here's hoping the drybrushing makes up for it!

DSC00166_zps7bd7d089.jpg

DSC00167_zpsf64a9486.jpg

DSC00168_zpsb6d2e838.jpg

Sparanza,,

Great start on a problematic classic and the second prettiest airplane ever designed... :)

Keep the photos coming.

Best

Geoff

It is problematic isn't it? :D It is indeed pretty - I've built it twice in my life; once as a child and once in my teens. Third time's a charm, I hear. Here's hoping. Thanks for your comment and for stopping by!

Lookin' Good!

Boris

Glad you approve, styrene-butcher Boris!

Some nice work going on here.  Good show!

Sincerely,

Mark

Doing my best, Mark. :D Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for stopping by, Dan! :) Yes, I am enjoying myself as long as things run smoothly. ;) Haha.

We do have a few dedicated hobby shops here in Sweden, though I personally don't really visit them, but I hear they are well stocked as well. Kits can be found in toy stores too, same goes for the paint. So there's nothing wrong with the availability for the basic things I guess, it's just the prices that really puts me off shopping locally. I basically only purchase paint and some (cheap) tools, but rarely any models. A 1/24 scale kit can cost up to 1000 SEK, which is 113 Euros according to Google. So by ordering from abroad.. say Airfix in England, I'm actually SAVING money, up to 35 euros. It's ridiculous.

But I should start saving up for proper brushes, mine keeps losing their bristles...

We do have shows and swap/sells meetings as well, though I have personally never attended any.

Moh.

Sweden is expensive.

Thats why i buy alot from eBay, and secondhand unbuilt models from eBay (most of my models is unbuilt second hand)

We have a great secondhand store in Sweden Stockholm, they update their webshop as soon as new arrivals come in, it can be big colletions and so on, hobbybok handeln ;) im a regular customer there ;)