1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Thanks Jack, that's really kind. I've learned a lot from some of the other builds here, and figured some things out myself. Sometimes things just jump out at you, like the ammo belt "zipper".

I just hope I'll still be able to just a model straight out of the box after this, without trying to fiddle with things! Not all kits need as much help as this one though, but I am surprised at how good they did get this Mustang at the time, in the early 1970s.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Very nice work mate I put the Airfix floor in the trumpy kit and modified it yours looks great can't wait to see the main parts of this build come together keep going don't worry about the dead line your got a beautiful model on the way.

Guy

The bag you made looks great Richard. I wouldn't thought of using a smaller scale ammo belt but it really looks the part.

I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't bring this into the Clear the SOD GB. If you're worried about semantics, just place it there before you start your entry :P

I think I'm entering that one with a Tamiya F-15E I started back in '93.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Making good progress on the cockpit. The problem was finding photos of the various radio/communications fits and their associated control panels. Seems there were several sets of radios/IFF/radio compass combinations installed at various times and overhauls. I now have copies of three different pilot and maintenance manuals.

In the end I took Shaka HI's suggestion and I'm going to end up scratch-building the whole cockpit apart from the instrument panel. The Archer resin rivets and details have arrived and I'm going to town riveting the cockpit sills, wheel wells and gear doors. More pictures in a day or so.

No turning back, I'm in too deep now. :)

Edited by R Palimaka

It doesn't look like much progress, but it's taken some time to get these bits done with my bad left eye. The Waldron placards and details are incredible...although they are a pain to cut from the sheet. I have no idea how the guys who've used the 1/48 version could possibly do it. The panel on the right still needs a rotary switch added in the round circle, that's coming. It was fun getting the toggle switches in (cut from lengths of wire) !

VmGpTny.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I added an IFF inertia switch, indicator light box and the mounting plate to the back of the armour plate headrest, all out of plastic and photo-etch bits modified from the spares box. It will be wired up when it's painted...which will happen shortly.

r9cyKND.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Photobucket is back for now. This is the port side waiting to be primed and painted, with the Archer rivets in place. I have to say the rivets are amazing, easy to use and very convincing and versatile. The blue masking tape (and the tiny ball of Blu-tack) covers areas that are going to have more parts glued to them. Again, doesn't seem like much progress but there was a lot stripped away and replaced/added, like the mapcase and below that the "tunnel" for all the wiring bundles and control lines.

v3tOkJn.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka