Canadair CF-104 "Starfighter" 1:32 MWP project

aquatarkus10

Perhaps the most-realistic photo of a model I have ever seen!

Alas, my experiences with the terrible fit of the Italeri Mirage III-C has put me off their Starfighter, which I had planned to build in Bundesluftwaffe colors.

Unlike the Italeri Mirage, the Starfighter ain't too bad.  Some of the outer panels need a thin shim to get it them level with their surrounds.  Sadly, the panel lines would make a WWI infantryman feel safe from artillery fire.  And, where the landing gear of the Mirage may look like chicken leg bones, the Starfighter's gear look well formed.  I enjoyed building mine with minimal cursing and swearing.  Pick your poison.

Gaz

Gaz

Unlike the Italeri Mirage, the Starfighter ain't too bad.  Some of the outer panels need a thin shim to get it them level with their surrounds.  Sadly, the panel lines would make a WWI infantryman feel safe from artillery fire.  And, where the landing gear of the Mirage may look like chicken leg bones, the Starfighter's gear look well formed.  I enjoyed building mine with minimal cursing and swearing.  Pick your poison.

Thanks, Gaz. I can deal with deep panel lines, but the poor fit on the Mirage has meant details lost to putty and sanding that are difficult to recreate with my skills. But I will reconsider the 104 based on your post, thanks.

The F-104 is another favorite of mine! You did a great job on that one! Awesome detail...where are the maintenance guys? Oh...probably off on the weekend! My dad would take me down to the big hanger at Edwards when I was a little guy if he needed to do something at work on the weekend. He'd let me go out and wander around in the hanger and the flight test F-104's and F-100's would be in there. Always the standard...."look but don't touch anything" lecture before I'd go!