1/48 Eduard Bf109E-3, JG53 November 1939

Kahunaminor

Thank you lads,

Welcome back,
Working on the MLG and bays. The tyres need to be sanded down at an angle to fit. Test fitting showed the doors, being the exact same size as the openings, would leave a nasty lip so material was carefully scraped away from the wing openings until the doors align within the openings:

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

The MLG have been reduced to just the straightened wheel mounts as all the rest was a problem:

IMG_3863.jpg

The fore and aft canopies were fitted first and this meant the fore and aft ends of the central canopy were gradually sanded away so as to fit:

A small gap was filled with Gator's Grip to address a gap in the port front end. It will dry clear and be almost invisible from the inside unlike using putty which would leave a white residue showing on the interior:

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

The gunsight, armour head plate and canopy hold open strap were attached before the canopy was then masked and sealed forever. The small inlet on the starboard cowling behind the engine crank was drilled out and the plastic air filter cover for expediency:

IMG_3873.jpg

Work on the prop:

IMG_3868.jpg

Engine test run:

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/kahunaminor/media/Eduard%20Bf%20109E-1/D47627FC-F038-44D3-9D3D-5A1A9A949CF6_zpszkfqw728.mp4.html

Hopefully onto painting the undersides and a finish by the weekend maybe.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

With the grace of the 7 day extension granted by Enzo, I continued on with the work. The various openings were masked with damp tissue and the Aeromaster RLM 65 was sprayed on the undersides. Once this has had an opportunity to dry for a few hours, I will mask off the lower surfaces in preparation for the topside colours. I plan on an overall coat of RLM 02, mask that then finishing with the RLM 70 before markings and decals:

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

Regards,

Kent,

Looks great!  Gonna try using moist tissue as a mask for stuff. 

Still can't see your engine test.   Now I get a little black square with an 'X" in it.

Gaz

Welcome back.

I will try and fix the engine vid Gaz but maybe it is beyond my IT experience?

As the extended deadline creeps ever closer, I am thinking this will go down to the wire. Two sick chitlens are not helping but they are pretty self sufficient. I have masked the undersides and sprayed the Aeromaster RLM 02 as a base coat:

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

I then commenced masking the parts to remain RLM 02. This was a drawn out process with lots of time taken to cut tape to the rather intricate scheme:

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

The rear stabilisers were left off the make the marking easier and are done separately:

IMG_3903.jpg

I then sprayed Humbrol RLM 71:

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

The walkie talkie is for the kids to call me if they need me. Parenting supervision par excellence!

IMG_3908.jpg

This will now dry overnight and then be masked for the final colour Aeromaster RLM 70, which is less difficult (I hope).  I will then remove the masks and apply the markings that can be painted on before hopefully just a few decals. Weathering will be a bare minimum as this is a 1939 build.

Regards,

Welcome back,

Masking goes on:

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

Masking comes off! Pretty happy with the result. This has been the most involved mask session I have done. There are a couple of PE bits to reattach and a couple of small goofs but if you can find them, you're good. I was going to mask the markings but I think remaining time will see me default to glosscoat then decals tonight. (This may require one of my infamous all nighters!):

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Tick tock! Tick tock!

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

• 2 weeks later...