Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Thank you Richard! 

Yes I might have to be brave to finish this, but it seemed a pretty simple conversion at the start...

Terrific and inventive work, Alain!

Well, I'm glad someone did! I have another that I'm planning to convert to one of the tail-dragger prototypes, so now your build will be useful to me!

Kev

Anything I can do to help, just ask! I am also thinking of your 190 S conversion!

Yeah, PC+UC I think. I might try the earlier one in 1/48 first!

Kev

That one is the nicest looking! The unique canopy of those very early 262s will be a challenge!

Now with our program for tonight...

The primer was sanded back to the plastic to get rid of the rivet detail; it almost looks as if it was never applied!

ZfI11nB.jpg

With a new coat of Tamiya primer:

oUFXQY9.jpg

Just before priming, I added 3 fuel access panels on top of the fuselage. I noticed this after the paint was dry:

5qlksR4.jpg

I was baffled for a few seconds, but guessed it was sanding dust that remained in the scribed panel on the right. So a very light pass of the scriber dislodged the dust under the paint and solved the problem.

oPvzBKC.jpg

I also primed one horizontal tailplane and did the rivets with the Rosie the Riveter tool. Note I kept the elevator raised rivets. Probably will not be really visible...

HGeRGgy.jpg

Why not both you must be thinking? Just as I was getting ready to paint, I noticed a bit of plastic had broken off the end of the part. I had no idea how this could have happened, until I remembered I had dropped one on the floor earlier that day. So I went back at my work place and started looking on the floor to find it among many tiny bits of dark green plastic, dust and other debris that should have been cleaned up!

To my utter astonishment, while going through this, the tiny broken bit emerged! It is now well protected in a ziploc until I glue it back tomorrow!

DstVKtr.jpg  

Last for now, the front landing gear door parts, cut from a thin styrene sheet .You see the lines that identify the four sections of it.

4nqiCUU.jpg

And with a curve added to follow the shape of the fuselage. Sorry for the poor photo, it was necessary to use that angle to show that shape.

0YnIQMF.jpg

Bye for now!

Alain

Thanks Guy , thanks Jim !!!

The broken tail plane has been fixed and primed, but not before it snapped off a second time.

I will have to be careful of this when handling the part in the future...

I managed to get a bunch of cast instruments for the IP:

SNKzhrB.jpg

Here is a general view of the cockpit showing some added details to the Hasegawa part.

NTLGY7F.jpg

A couple more views. The triangular styrene bits link the cockpit to the sides of the fuselage.

The seat is not fixed yet and there are all the handles to add to it.

t2K7xhr.jpg

D5EXFTC.jpg

I have found some (poor) photos the front wheel well doors which will help detail their inner side.

The rudder pedals, IP, and throttle levers are the main things left to do in the cockpit area.

Regards!

Alain

Thanks guys!

Bravo Alain, super scratching!

Torben

I need to get serious about my scratch building....Excellent progress!

I like scratch building parts...It is almost like some sort of meditation...

man, I wish someone would sell resin instruments like you made here

they look great!

That's an idea!

Here are the latest developments:

The completed instrument panel. It is typical Me 262 except the small lower vertical panel. It represents my guess of the 2 camera controls.

Y5nMNmA.jpg

Next, I made rudder pedals (from Hasegawa bf109) and supporting mechanism. The control column is also Hasegawa. I made a flat panel that is placed on the floor in front of the seat in the 262. I am not too sure of its' purpose but it could protect control links.

zwz0nI4.jpg

The rudder pedals from the front:

NhY7LIU.jpg

The whole thing together for you to see, but not yet glued together. Notice that all that nice pedal detail is hidden...

6czv0Kw.jpg

I might cut out of one of the 2 camera control boxes to show the detail behind. I guess one box would control both cameras anyway...We'll see.

Regards!

Alain

I need to get serious about my scratch building....Excellent progress!

Hola ! Be careful, you're on a slippery slope there, Shaka ! No climbing back when you're down it ;) ...

Methink you'd better stick to your current modelling attitude ... :hmmm: or not ... :hmmm: ;)

Impressive detailing work on this one Alain ! :popcorn:

Hubert