Aerotech Piaggio Pegna PC7

So my Lohner is stalled, probably because of a short attention span, but this one really caught my interest. Hannants sent it across the pond and the whole USA in just 11 days, so I had to open it. This one looks like it could go mostly out of the box, which should get me to get off the couch and git er done.

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t605/TnargM/Piaggio%20Pegna%20Aerotech/Boxp_zpsde0c8259.jpg

More in the next post

Tnarg

I figure that I should probably post the contents of the box first, so here are the resin parts:

The top of the wing first

Topofwingp_zps2de45821.jpg

Next up the fuselage inside and outside. Note those bumpy pins that need to be cut off to fit it together, not the pin and socket usually seen on injection kits. There are only a few of those and they are a bit larger than the ones that are probably related to pouring the resin?

Fuselageoutsidep_zps81ee2cb5.jpg

Fuselageinsidep_zpse47fca85.jpg

Next up, the ailerons, tail and other resin detail parts.

Controlsurfacesp_zps78c49eab.jpg

And now the crazy part, the airfoils that this guy rode on.

PropIntFoilp_zps580c7a20.jpg

More in the next post,

Tnarg

Next up is the photo etch and cast metal parts:

Pemetalp_zps11ee6414.jpg

Metalpartsp_zps0d5392ee.jpg

The metal parts above include a lot that fit into the stand. The center platform of the stand is below:

Standp_zpsc11616a7.jpg

This aircraft was built by the Italians for the 1929 Schneider Trophy Race. The idea was to avoid the drag induced by the huge floats usually required by the rest of the competition, so they used hydroplanes. The clutch engaged the rear propeller first, got up to speed and raised the body of the plane out of the water, riding on the planes. They next were to engage the clutch to the air prop, disengage the water prop and take off... or so the story goes.

They turned the machine over to the racing team, and many of the pilots wouldn't try it. They did several runs on the lake, but it raised a lot of spray, making it difficult to taxi. To quote the instruction sheet: "The aircraft never became airborne". Too bad, as it is one of the strangest birds ever built.

Tnarg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!  Just got one of these and am part way through the build. I am very impressed with the fit and quality of the resin parts.

But - One question:-

The etch wing radiators (being flat) will not conform to the double curve of the wing surface.

Any advice or suggestions?

Malc.

Most definitely different Grant - It looks good (I first thought that I was looking at a Pilatus PC-7 until I saw the photographs! :doh:). 

I look forward to seeing this as a finished model - Good luck.

Derek

My grandkids were in town for a few weeks, with the attendant fun activities, but this is back on the bench, or rather I am back on the bench again. More as things progress, but the first thing to do is the stand. That gives it something to sit upon.

Tnarg

• 4 months later...

Not going to make the group build deadline for a large number of reasons, but will continue this in the "in progress" section. Too many distractions, dog ate my homework, jury duty, etc. The jury duty was real, but only for two weeks, and a lame excuse anyway.

Mostly I've been doing too much preparation work for too many kits and need to let go of the details and just build one of the tens of kits I'm playing with, like this one.

Tnarg