F-8E Crusader VMF(AW)-312: Done 2014.11.1 Summary Posted

Thanks guys!

I'll have to see how it goes, but as far as total overall weight of the model, I don't think it will be too bad.  The compression strength of the front landing gear should be more than sufficient (nose weight and all), so the only concern might be the main gear.  Just for giggles, I think I'll weigh the kit later on in the build for comparison.

I hav eplans for building tils version myself some day. The decals are bought. Now i need the kit and some time.

Great set of decals.  I'm tempted by more than one in this set- so many models, so little time...

the Y launchers are indeed the same left and right, i corrected them on my build, it makes a big difference. will watch closely.

I'll be taking a closer look at these today.  I'd love to compare notes though- is there a link someplace on this?

Spent a little time on the intake yesterday.  Bottom line is I don't think there's any free lunch when it comes to these.

IMG_5045_600_zpsb18867bd.jpg

Out of the box

IMG_5047_600_zps60eeea7e.jpg

Punch marks- 6 or 7 on each one

IMG_5057_600_zps68d2d23e.jpg

The ends are closed off on the kit parts.  I opened these up so I can get at the seam from both ends later on.

IMG_5067_600_zps7026c678.jpg

I also shaved off the locating pins and filled these as well.  This pic also shows the REALLY grainy finish on the lower intake half.  The upper half is relatively smooth though.

IMG_5068_600_zps62435b01.jpg

So far.  Will start sanding away next

Thanks for looking!

Kai

this is my build:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45219&hl=

i still have a pretty good drawing of all the angles of the launchers, PM me your email and i will send it to you

somthing i overlooked is the front LG seems to be oversize. as far as i know its similar to the A-7 LG, if you compare them the corsair gear is much smaller

i have good pics of the gear too

Edited by blackbetty

That was a great build.

Paul

this is my build:

i still have a pretty good drawing of all the angles of the launchers, PM me your email and i will send it to you

somthing i overlooked is the front LG seems to be oversize. as far as i know its similar to the A-7 LG, if you compare them the corsair gear is much smaller

this is my build:

What a great build Karl, and a nice build reference.  Good catch on the the front gear- I'll add that to the list to take a closer look at.  PM sent

I didn't get much of a chance yesterday to work on the intakes, but I'm really looking forward to getting some good heads down time on this project this weekend.

Kai

It's been a hectic last couple of days, but finally got some build time in yesterday

IMG_5101_500_zpsedceefe8.jpg

Intakes sanded and primered with Gunze Surfacer 1500 Gray.

IMG_5098_500_zps9fc144bf.jpg

Getting a sense of the intake seam.  This starts about 1 inch in, and only about a third of the intake seam is really visible when looking down the intake. It's a pretty nasty seam though

IMG_5103_500_zps42cf8af6.jpg

While still mentally prepared to work the seam on the kit intake, I think I'm going to TRY a third approach- modify the Rhino intake to fit inside the UNCUT fuselage.  Basically, cut it down and get it to match the kit intake.  If this works, then this option would come closest to the best of both worlds; no internal longitudinal intake seam and no external fuselage mending.  If this doesn't work out, fine, I'll just go back to plan A.

IMG_5104_500_zpsdc7a6aab.jpg

Some peripheral construction- here, working on one of the wing pylons

IMG_5110_500_zpsadcc7f0a.jpg

The MER is from the Trumpeter US Bombs set (3307).  I looked at several MERs from other kits (including a Tamiya F-15E that I have parted out), and these looked like the nicest.  Even though they are separate kits, the locating pins matched up perfectly- Trumpeter must be using standardized spacing on these kit to kit.  

IMG_5108_500_zpsd002c256.jpg

Nice detail on these for out of the box.  Here, dry fitting everything together prior to cleanup.  I may replace the harness off the back of the lower rack, pending some review of references.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Really enjoy the Crusader builds!!  IIRC when i did my 'sader build i used the kit intake and i  noticed how the fit was weak on the inside and had pin marks, but the outside the seam was good and there were no pin marks. Trumpy got that one backwards. I'm looking forward to see how you correct the fuselage Y pylons, all i did on mine was modify the left pylon by bending it IIRC.

Don

Really enjoy the Crusader builds!!  IIRC when i did my 'sader build i used the kit intake and i  noticed how the fit was weak on the inside and had pin marks, but the outside the seam was good and there were no pin marks. Trumpy got that one backwards. I'm looking forward to see how you correct the fuselage Y pylons, all i did on mine was modify the left pylon by bending it IIRC.

Don

Thanks Don for the heads up.  I see where one of them will need to be slightly modified, but hadn't untangled it yet to determine which one or how.  This helps.

Kai

Spent time working on modifying the Rhino intake to match the kit intake without involving any fuselage cuts.  Short version: it works!

IMG_5113_500_zps447c41a8.jpg

Measured out the intake length differences.  

IMG_5119_500_zps751fc05e.jpg

Marked with tape and made the cut with a razor saw.  I "creeped" up to the length with 2 cuts and a sanding stick, but it ends up being a tad over 14mm removed from the Rhino intake

IMG_5123_500_zps1b3db7e3.jpg

Made a template from the kit intake at the intake lip (at least as far as the kit part is concerned- it's actually about an inch back from the outside lip)

IMG_5127_500_zps26ef9c64.jpg

The template for the kit intake was sanded to shape to match as closely as possible

IMG_5131_500_zps7af3c4d2.jpg

The template was then applied to the Rhino intake and used to guide the removal of the thicker part at the front.  This probably took the longest.  Started with a Dremel, but then sanding, scraping and checking it in the fuselage while being mindful of not over-thinning the walls of the intake.

IMG_5137_500_zpse0c59a33.jpg

Here you get a pretty good sense of the net result.  There will still need to be some minor shimming under the nose cone, but overall, this works out pretty decent.  There's still 2 more punch marks to go on either side of the fuselage portion of the intake.  It was also necessary to dip the nose part of the resin piece in boiling hot water (10 seconds) to slightly adjust the curvature and angle.

IMG_5142_500_zpse25ddf91.jpg

The nose landing gear bay was ground off the Rhino part so the Aires landing gear bay can be used- plenty of room for it now.

IMG_5143_500_zps4b3c4e47.jpg

A little blurry (sorry), but the lips of both are a close match now.  Didn't measure, but about .015 I'd guess.

Moving on to some of the other fuselage sub-assemblies next...

Thanks for looking

Kai

Really like what you've done with the Rhino intake - was hoping somebody could figure that one out!

Horns: the F-8E NLG didn't gave them (based on perusing pics in Wings of Fame, Vol 5)

The G-Factor legs I have feature the same slightly extended oleo as the SAC ones, finely cast and as tough as old boots.

Tony